1,3x: Session Transfer Vs Actual Download (Fixed in 1.40)

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
only4unme

1,3x: Session Transfer Vs Actual Download (Fixed in 1.40)

Post by only4unme »

Yesterday I was downloading a torrent through a private tracker. Today Morning while checking the status, in the 'Session Transfer' Status it shows DL: 897 MB. but in the torrent status I see only 80.8 MB Downloaded.

I quit Transmission, reopen it again and as it resets the session transfer to 0, so I put a close watch.. after few minutes my 'Session Transfer' is showing DL:3.0 MB but torrent is increased to only 81.4 MB (0.6 MB).

Why it is showing different statuses... Is the data getting lost?

Please help..

Client: Transmission 1.32 (6453)
theCrank

Re: Session Transfer Vs Actual Download

Post by theCrank »

Maybe the largest part of the data you have downloaded could not be verified and was discarded?
only4unme

Post by only4unme »

I don't think so.. because it's not the case that I closed down and reopen the software in which case it verifies upon launching.. It's that I'm continuosly see that while downloading.. the 'Session Transfer' figures go fast then the 'Actual Download'

for eg. I've a download in progress for a 1 Item and it was at 147.00 MB. I closed down 'Transmission' and re-open it in order to reset the 'Session Transfer' to 0.00 MB.
Now I can see live when it starts downloading.. (this example is just to make you understand what really happens)

Session Transfer Actual Download
0.00 MB 147.00 MB
1.45 MB 148.10 MB
4.52 MB 152.06 MB
15.36 MB 157.31 MB

SO When it should download 15.36 MB as stated in Session Transfer.. the actual download happened of just 10.31 MB (157.31-147). That means a loss of 5.05 MB.

NOTE: While testing this I only have one Active Torrent running. Others are paused.

> For a 90 MB download in 'Session Transfer' the actual download that happened was only 60 MB.
and the earlier case of mine where 'Session Transfer' shows a download of 897 MB but actually downloaded only 80.8 MB.
only4unme

Post by only4unme »

last night I downloaded Vuze and it doesn't show that kind of problem and all my files were downloaded fine.

I still wanted to use Transmission because of it's clean and easy to use interface. Can anybody help me with the problem and how to resolve it?
rabbit917

Post by rabbit917 »

You're not alone. The same thing is happening to me. I updated to 1.32 a few days ago and ever since then, the statistics fly in the face of each other. The download speed displayed that I was pulling data down at my full bandwidth and the session transfer would reflect that I was indeed downloading lots of data, but the torrent progress itself would only be a fraction of the session transfer. On one I was downloading earlier, the torrent progress had only accounted for 10 MB while my session transfer was over 100 MB. Watching Apple's Activity Monitor utility, data certainly is coming in. Nothing else was downloading and I've made no other changes to my router or computer setup. 90 MB truly were downloaded by Transmission only to literally vanish. :|

And the values for the "Have", "Verified" and "Downloaded" fields in the Activity pane of the Torrent Inspector window only reflected what Transmission claimed the torrent progress was. While it was downloading, all three numbers would pretty much be the same low number (Around 10 percent of the session transfer) but data was still flying in and not being accounted for anywhere in the application except the session transfer and the download speed indicator.

My solution was to revert back to version 1.22 which you can find just past the middle of the list at this address: http://download.m0k.org/transmission/files/. Everything downloads and registers fine again.

For reference, I'm on a G4 Aluminum Powerbook running 10.5.4 (9E17) on a Verizon DSL network running an Airlink 150N access point. No crazy tunneling or proxy software is installed on my network. Hope this helps!
weaselofdoom

Post by weaselofdoom »

registering just to chime in that I'm having the same problem. Reverting to 1.22 for now.
Freshmex

Post by Freshmex »

Same thing happening to me too. Grr!
weaselofdoom

Post by weaselofdoom »

At a quick glance, 1.3.3 appears to fix this. I'll report back if that turns out not to be the case.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I've also just registered to confirm this problem. I'm using 1.33 (6594) and it's still happening...

I have 20GB of bandwidth per month (Internet isn't very good in Australia :\) and I've already used half of it in three days because of this bug. Please fix it, this is critical! I've reverted back to 1.22 for now.
Leempi

Post by Leempi »

Same thing happening here, first suspected when estimated time said 30 minutes left and 6 hours later the torrent was still only 80% complete (15 minutes left! :roll: )

This started happening with 1.3. I'm on OSX 10.5.2; see attached:
Picture 1.jpg
Picture 1.jpg (59.29 KiB) Viewed 76004 times
Picture 2.jpg
Picture 2.jpg (66.35 KiB) Viewed 76005 times
Its checking data again in the first one, but It was 37.9 mb total. From the torrent this means it actually had 578.4mb of useful information, while it downloaded 896mb. So something is getting lost somewhere, and the message log shows no errors of piece discarded, redownloading or something similar.
only4unme

Post by only4unme »

I think the best thing for now is to switch back to 1.22.. until we receive any confirmation on 1.33
alison87

Post by alison87 »

I am still seeing this issue in 1.33. It's so bad i had to download Vuze (first time not using Transmission on my mac, and it's painful!) I don't know if it's the same issue, but for a while now (perhaps since 1.3x upgrade?) every torrent i connect to i end up uploading 4x or 5x as much as i download before i get to 100% downloaded, which is extremely odd.
beccyb00

Post by beccyb00 »

i had the same problem. so frustrating when you have a capped bandwidth. ive gone back to using 1.22 and everything seems to be working fine. i hope they hurry up and fix the bug.
silvertone

Post by silvertone »

Just wanted to bump this to say I'm also experiencing exactly the same issue.

A 1000MB file

Transmission says it has downloaded 1100MB

but only 20% complete

and no discarded downloads.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Just downloaded 1.34, and this bug has not been fixed; session transfer is 6 MB while actual amount downloaded is 3.5 MB.

Please fix this! This is absolutely a critical bug, and so many people have reported their experiences of it here. I must say, I'm surprised it's managed to make it's way through 4 releases (1.30 - 1.34).