WebUI with file list - now fully functional

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
fschaeckermann

Post by fschaeckermann »

Hi,
I have worked on the WebUI that last couple of weeks and finally came up with a version I'd like some feedback on... It updates the inspector to show a list of trackers for the torrent with the currently used one showing in bold (or N/A if none or multiple torrents are selected) and adds another files tab to the inspector (besides information and action) that shows the files of all selected torrents with file name, size and percentage done as well as a progress bar.

The progress bar changes color according to the file priority: grey if the file is not to be downloaded (the file name is also grey instead of black in this case), green for low priority files, yellow for normal priority files and red for high priority files.

Another - not yet fully implemented feature - is, to remove a torrent by clicking on it (a confirmation dialog is displayed, but the actual removal is not yet implemented). The better way of implementing this would probably be a pop-up menu that would also have an option for adding a tracker. Preferences anyone?

Also clicking on a file could be implemented such as the file cycling through "not wanted" -> "priority low" -> "priority normal" -> "priority high" -> "not wanted" -> ... Or is it better to display a dialog that allows to set "wanted" or "not wanted" and priority? Or a pop-up menu with the possible options? Right now clicking on a file displays a "not yet implemented" alert.

Comments and ideas are very welcome!

Since I can't attach any files here, go get the zip file from: http://fschaeckermann.homeip.net/transm ... on-web.zip

Just rename your existing web directory and unzip this file in it's place. There are no changes to transmission-daemon itself. It's purely web-interface stuff I changed.

Regards, Frank
Last edited by fschaeckermann on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
captphatsidy

Re: WebUI with tracker list and file list

Post by captphatsidy »

This is great progress. Thanks for the work.

For file prioritization, I'd make it visual the same way the desktop app handles it. And feel free to take up more vertical space. If the list is too long, it will auto-scroll. If you lay it out similarly to the desktop app, it will be much easier for the user to digest the information. No need for individual progress bars. The name and the priority controls on one line, and X Megabites out of Y Megabites on the second line.

Very excited.

Thanks,
Chris
fschaeckermann

Post by fschaeckermann »

captphatsidy wrote:For file prioritization, I'd make it visual the same way the desktop app handles it.
Chris,
I presume, you are talking about the OS X client? Is there some screen shot of the file list somewhere? The screen shots on the transmission site do not show the file list of the OS X client and I don't have access to a Mac to look for myself.

Regards, Frank
captphatsidy

Post by captphatsidy »

It's a little rough, but here's the general idea of how I'd imagine it (increase the browser window's width if image is cropped):

The priority controls on the side could appear on mouseover the same way they do on the Mac app: Their status is indicated by a single up or down arrow, or a dot, until moused over, in which you get the state shown above.

-Chris
l2net

Post by l2net »

on windows (opera, Mozilla Firefox) - no work :(
1.jpg
1.jpg (141.01 KiB) Viewed 89249 times
fschaeckermann

Post by fschaeckermann »

Okay,
here it is. I picked up Chris' proposal and implemented it basically just as shown in his post.
The interface is now fully functional in terms of "unwanting" files and changing their priority. The tracker-management hasn't enjoyed any further attention as of now.

Unfortunately this can not go into SVN yet (even if the transmission programmer's review would be favourable) since I haven't done ANY work on the iphone.css nor any other iphone specifics that would be needed. Is there an iPhone browser simulator for Linux anywhere so I could use it for my tests? Or does anyone want to supply me with an iPhone? *wink*

Have fun playing with it and feel free to suggest improvements!

Regards, Frank

P.S. You can pick up the new code under the same link as before: http://fschaeckermann.homeip.net/transm ... on-web.zip
Just replace your transmission web directory with the web directory found in the zip file.
captphatsidy

Re: WebUI with file list - now fully functional

Post by captphatsidy »

Pretty cool.

I can only give high priority, though. If I click on normal or low priority, it still assigns high priority. Also, if the title of the torrent is long enough to wrap to 2 lines, it doesn't shift the content down. It just runs into the content below.

Pretty quick work. Nice job.

Thanks,
Chris
fschaeckermann

Post by fschaeckermann »

Chris,
what browser are you using? With Firefox on Linux I don't see any of that. I am not using any tricky HTML to get that list rendered - well except for the "position: absolute" on the check box image. I thought this to be pretty save and normal HTML <LI> code.

Could you get a screen shot for me to see what exactly is happening? I will have to go through some more testing on other browsers. Just downloaded Safari to see how it looks there...

Frank
captphatsidy

Post by captphatsidy »

Sorry, I really should have posted that. I'm using Safari 3.1.2. It's late here, so I'll try to post some screenshots when I can get to it at another time.

Thanks again for the work,
Chris
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Hi,

I just tested your latest version installing it over version 1.34, in general its good, the icons look better than the originals.

But... have you seen your network usage?

With the original code and the Web interface with the activity frame open, network graph is flat at no use (I know there's a little traffic every 5 seconds, but it doesn't show). With your code in place: spikes every 5 seconds, about 100 kbps, very noticeable, very different from the original code.

Is the files feature worth it?

Also noticed you changed permissions on web/index.html to executable; that's a no-no, I know Winblows editors do that all the time but, be careful, this is being installed on Linux/Unix all over and you're adding a security hole.
fschaeckermann

Post by fschaeckermann »

rb,
the permission issue is duelly noted! I'll make sure the permissions are set right and put out a new zip file.

The network usage spikes because now all the file information is transferred as well. If you have tons of torrents with tons of files that is a lot of information to be gotten. Though it's worth a thought if the file info really has to be transferred every time... let me think this through. After all you only need current info if and when you are looking at the file list...

Unfortunately I will be on vacation the next couple of weeks and I won't risk getting my head chopped off for spending too much time on the computer during that time *wink* Therefore any more changes will have to wait until about end of October.

Regards, Frank
j5osx

Post by j5osx »

I've tested your version with my ipod touch and it works just fine. It seems that there is no way to show the inspector on the iphone version of the web UI.
alisejk

Post by alisejk »

Hi!

I've just installed Transmission on my DNS-323, and tried this GUI. I noticed two bugs, which I want to share with you, guys.

The first:
I use Firefox 3.0.3 on XP, and I can't see the files in the torrent. I even haven't got the button to reach the list. I installed Opera browser, and it works fine now.

The second:
When I open a torrent, it isn't show up in my list. I have to reload the page.

Despite of this small bugs, I like this UI, and I will continue using it. Many Thanks to the Developers!!
bollywood

Post by bollywood »

this theme is awesome!

when will it get merged into the official builds?
fschaeckermann

Post by fschaeckermann »

Thanks for the encouragement!

I am currently in Bangkok waiting for my flight to New Delhi from where I will return to Frankfurt in Germany - vacation is over *sigh*

But that also means I can finally resume work on this WebUI, fix the bugs, you have found and reported so far and get the iPhone stylesheet updated as well. I hope to get that done within the next 2 weeks.

Then there will be some more testing by the other developers - especially for the iPhone, since I can't do that myself - and the transmission team will have to decide, if and when this is going to be merged into the mainstream. I have no idea how long that will take though.

Hope that helps a little, Frank