Connections are "fizzling out"...

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
jemenake

Connections are "fizzling out"...

Post by jemenake »

I'm seeing a strange problem with Transmission on my Ubuntu 10.04 box.

I'm currently trying to download about 8 obscure torrents. By "obscure", I mean that there are usually 4-6 leechers and maybe 1-2 seeders. The downloads are on pace to take about 1-4 days.

But here's the strange thing. After about 4-8 hours, all of the downloads just slowly grind to a halt. No more downloading seems to be happening and it seems that all of the torrents say "Unknown" for the expected completion time.

Buuuuuuuut.... if I remove the torrent (not the files, just remove the torrent) and then re-add it again, then Transmission is back to the races again. Downloading from all 6 of 6 peers, expected download time is 1 day, 2 hours... everything's going great. It's like Transmission suddenly re-discovered all of those peers and noticed that they have pieces I need (why didn't it notice on its own?). And then... gradually... over the next 4-8 hours or so... expected download time starts going up again... 2 days... 4 days... 10 days... and then, "unknown".

So, my question is: What is it about the torrent that Transmission is resetting when I remove/re-add the torrent that it is not doing automatically? And is there a way to force Transmission to "reset" the torrent without having to remove/re-add the torrent (which requires verifying the downloaded blocks)?

- Joe
T'hain Esh Kelch

Re: Connections are "fizzling out"...

Post by T'hain Esh Kelch »

What happens if you just quite Transmission and restart it?