Transmission over VPN

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
alexish

Transmission over VPN

Post by alexish »

hi,

I'm using a VPN to download things via transmission. My question isnt related to speed, as i'm downloading at 1.1MB/s! :D

My question relates to how Transmission utilises network interfaces. I use iStat Menus to monitor network usage, and as far as I can see, most of the data is not being downloaded through the VPN, but instead through the local internet connection, even though I have set the VPN to route all traffic through it.

The odd thing is, that for all other network traffic, data seems to pass through the VPN, Transmission seems to be the exception. Just to clarify, the network activity here is just transmission traffic, and no other local network traffic...

Here is a pic:

So my question is more about getting a better understanding about how Transmission utilises network connections. Will it follow system settings and use the VPN or is iStat menus wrong?

I'd be interested to see if anybody else has had a similar experience!
John Clay
Transmission Project

Re: Transmission over VPN

Post by John Clay »

What rank is the VPN in your Network preference pane? In order for all traffic to reliably go over the VPN, it needs to be ranked higher than AirPort or Ethernet.
alexish

Re: Transmission over VPN

Post by alexish »

Thats a very good point!

It was lower than my primary adapter. I would have assumed that when send all was selected, it would send all data via the VPN, but clearly this is not the case.

Thanks for the reply.

since posting, I have started using Tunnelblick. This seems to have fixed my issue.