iPhone, Dropbox, Readynas nv+ running transmission

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
pcwhizzz

iPhone, Dropbox, Readynas nv+ running transmission

Post by pcwhizzz »

Hi, this my first post on this site & this is what i'm trying to achieve. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is my current setup. I have an iphone which I use to browse the web while at work. I have setup a dropbox account so that when I find a torrent file I wish to download I can pass the link into my dropbox. I have a Readynas NV+ remote server at home running transmission.

This is the part I need help with
I would like to setup transmission to watch my dropbox for newly added torrents & when detected I want transmission to trigger a download to my Readynas then delete the unwanted torrent from my dropbox. Is this all possible?

Once the torrent is on my Readynas server it can then be streamed to either my desktop, laptop or PS3.

I have read on some forums that transmission can be set to watch directories but I don't know where to begin.

I have my Readynas set to switch on & switch off at certain times of the day so it isn't on all the time, can transmission be setup this way as well?

I know i'll have to sort out port forwarding but that isn't a real problem.

If anyone has a simpler solution I would be glad to hear about them. My iphone hasn't been jailbroken & I don't want to go down that route.

Thanks in advance.

pcwhizzz :shock:
killemov

Re: iPhone, Dropbox, Readynas nv+ running transmission

Post by killemov »

You have to add/change these lines in settings.json, while transmission is not running.

Code: Select all

"watch-dir": "/mydropboxfolder", 
    "watch-dir-enabled": true
But you could also upload the torrents with the web interface.
pcwhizzz

Post by pcwhizzz »

Thanks Killemov for your reply.

It sounded a simple enough idea which was to browse the internet on my iPhone while at work, click a torrent link, pass it to my ReadyNas NV+ to download so that the file was ready for when I got home from work.

I read a lot of good things about Transmission so I tried it by installing it on my ReadyNas but being a newbie & the poor amount of information explaining how to setup Transmission for my needs I gave up on it.

However, I have found a work around, though it may not be as elegant as what I originally had in mind it seems to do what I want. This is what I have managed to setup.

I setup a Dropbox account.
Installed Dropbox & uTorrent onto my Windows Vista desktop PC & the Dropbox app on to my iPhone.
I have my Dropbox account sync'd to my PC & uTorrent watching my Dropbox torrent folder on the PC.
I don't want to have my PC & Nas on all day wasting energy so I have set the PC & Nas to turn on a few hours before I'm due home.
I used uTorrent's scheduler to start uTorrent.

So from my iPhone I can drop torrents into my Dropbox & when uTorrent starts on my PC at home it checks for any new torrents in my Dropbox, downloads them to the PC & when the download is complete uTorrent moves the file to the Nas.

If I am late home for any reason uTorrent stops due to it's scheduler. The PC & Nas are both set to turn off at a set time.

It seems to be working. It also saves setting up port forwarding. I Hope this helps others with the same idea I started out with.

Thanks again.

Pcwhizzz :D
lazybones

Post by lazybones »

I browse torrents on my iPhone, Copy the link, open the transmission web UI and click add.... Paste the URL... Done..
Works great, no complicated syncing of folders.