deleting the files of removed torrents.

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
cpt_chris

deleting the files of removed torrents.

Post by cpt_chris »

I have an issue with my torrents and am wondering if anyone else deals with this.

I have my torrents folder with hundred of folders in it. I have transmission with seeding torrents. Some of the folders in my torrents folder are not being seeded and have been removed from transmission's list. How would I got about selecting only files and folders which are no longer seeding in transmission?

I figure some kind of file history in transmission would be useful, or some sort of integration with the finder. I've sent an idea I had regarding this as a ticket but maybe there is a more obvious way on dealing with stray files that I don't know about?
killemov

Re: deleting the files of removed torrents.

Post by killemov »

cpt_chris wrote:... Some of the folders in my torrents folder are not being seeded and have been removed from transmission's list....
Tell transmission to remove the files as well when you remove the torrent.
negativeions

Post by negativeions »

Don't assume the guy wants to remove the files. He wants to "select them". Why would you want to delete files that you've downloaded anyways? What, you're gonna download the thing just to seed it? I think there should be a button for this. You can compare the folder to the transmission window but if you have hundreds of things that's a pain.
blacke4dawn

Post by blacke4dawn »

negativeions wrote:Don't assume the guy wants to remove the files. He wants to "select them". Why would you want to delete files that you've downloaded anyways? What, you're gonna download the thing just to seed it?
From what he is writing I interpreting it as he wanting to "select them" for deletion, and that is because he is done with them, both in seeding them and in "using" them (as in watching/hearing if media files and so on). There is nothing that says you can't "use" the files that you are seeding.
I think there should be a button for this. You can compare the folder to the transmission window but if you have hundreds of things that's a pain.
A button for what, comparing a directory to what is actually used by Transmission and pre-selecting the ones that aren't used by Transmission? Not sure it's a viable option due to the amount of different file handlers out there.
Personally I prefer to organize them into sub-folders, which makes it easier to overlook it all.
killemov

Post by killemov »

@blacke4dawn: My point also. The moment when the torrent is removed from transmission is the moment when the files should be deleted.

@cpt_chris: It can be done after the torrent has been removed from transmission, but that would take some serious scripting and use of transmission-remote to get a list of torrents still in transmission.
vbm

Post by vbm »

My point also. The moment when the torrent is removed from transmission is the moment when the files should be deleted.
I am assuming the OP wants to move a finished torrent somewhere else. I agree the best time to move the files is when you remove them from transmission but the OP may have loads of torrents finishing at some point in time and, while it is relatively easy to bulk delete the torrents from Transmission "manually" (sort by activity or progress, select, delete), doing the same on the file manager is not that simple (sorting by modified date or anything else will not necessarily group finished vs still seeding files).

I've been wanting to do the same thing and thought it would be nice if transmission allowed you to only move from the incomplete folder to the downloads folder once the torrent was finished as an option.

In any case, this post got me thinking and I manage to modify a script geirah helped me with the other day to no only remove all finished torrents from Transmission but also move the relevant files to another folder. :))

Code: Select all

#! /bin/bash
ids=$(transmission-remote -l | awk -F '^ +|  +' '$9=="Finished"{ids=ids sep $2; sep=","} END {print ids}'); transmission-remote -t "$ids" --move /path/to/finished/torrents/ -r
I saved this as transmission-oncompletion.sh on my home folder scheduled it to run every 4 hours.

I also have transmission running it when a torrent completes. It won't do anything to that particular torrent but hopefully it will cater for the times where I have lots of torrents going at the same time and several are like to finish within a 4h interval.