Transmission Beta Automatic Updates Feed

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
bogg

Post by bogg »

You can also use my server, builds updates quite often (atleast once a day).

Currently down (only for a few hours, relocating it to a better connection), will be upp again within 6 hours from the time of this post.

Code: Select all

defaults write org.m0k.transmission SUFeedURL 'http://transmission.bogg.org/appcast.xml'

When it comes back up it will come up on a 100/10 fiber connection (100Mbps download, 10Mbps upload). Has been hosted on a 10Mbps symmetric connection the last 9 months and only suffered a total of a few minutes downtime (only one unplanned downtime, due to a cats napping habbits).
Achilles

Post by Achilles »

hey i saw the old topic

and entered the code

i cant auto update anything now

does anyone have the updated code?
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

Since the nightlies are no beta releases (those will be announced here in the forum), but periodic builds from the code in progress, there will be no official in app support for them. However, as i mentioned a few times, there is a way to enable this through the Terminal:

To point T to the nightly, paste this in your terminal:

defaults write org.m0k.transmission SUFeedURL http://transmission.xpjets.com/ZIP/appcast.php
To revert to the default update URL (for releases):

defaults delete org.m0k.transmission SUFeedURL
Last edited by Waldorf on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Achilles

Post by Achilles »

Thank You
Jethryn Freyman

Minor bug reporting version number to Sparkle

Post by Jethryn Freyman »

One slight bug: Transmission doesn't always report the correct version number to Sparkle for the automatic nightly updates. For example, the current r5096 build reports as r5092. I've seen this a couple of times in the past too. Not too important, just thought I'd let you know.
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

There is no bug, but the nature of automatic builds. In these cases the bot build a revision that didn't actually require a rebuild. So you get an old build with a new name on it.
pea

Post by pea »

hi,
Waldorf wrote:There is no bug, but the nature of automatic builds.
to be precisious, the revision number reported by T is defined in version.sh by $SVN_REVISION
so you can find out that in that particular case the change in the NEWS file can't trigger the revision number in T

however the nightlies filename itself reflects the revision number correctly
(the Last Changed Revision value from svn for /trunk is used)
Jethryn Freyman

Post by Jethryn Freyman »

Makes sense, thanks for the answers :)
Ryoujin

Post by Ryoujin »

I'm going to start using this since I update almost every day, it should make things easier now.
iamnoskcaj

THANK YOU!

Post by iamnoskcaj »

I LOVE the idea of having dev builds available in the update menu. Quite cool!!!
Waldorf

Re: Transmission Beta Automatic Updates Feed

Post by Waldorf »

For those unaware: You can manage these "secret settings" using Sectrets, a database of hidden settings for Mac OS X. (yes, it's free ;) )

Also it adds an option to use ziped updates, which are only slightly smaller, but update faster.
Ryoujin

Re:

Post by Ryoujin »

Waldorf wrote:Since the nightlies are no beta releases (those will be announced here in the forum), but periodic builds from the code in progress, there will be no official in app support for them. However, as i mentioned a few times, there is a way to enable this through the Terminal:

To point T to the nightly, paste this in your terminal:

defaults write org.m0k.transmission SUFeedURL http://transmission.xpjets.com/ZIP/appcast.php
To revert to the default update URL (for releases):

defaults delete org.m0k.transmission SUFeedURL
For some reason this keeps being (for me) the only way to make Transmission check for Nightly Builds, even if I have it set up in the Preferences, and there's a new nightly, without modifying by Terminal Transmission won't detect it.

Edit: And then by one of those random things I tried visiting the URL manually and the last update listed is r9149, and the latest is r9191 :|
Ryoujin

Post by Ryoujin »

Nevermind, using

defaults write org.m0k.transmission SUFeedURL http://transmission.xpjets.com/appcast.php
Is the only way for me to make the Check for Update... option detect Nightly Builds (even if the option is already selected in the Preferences).
Ryoujin

Post by Ryoujin »

Which would be the address to put in the Terminal for http://build.transmissionbt.com/job/trunk-mac/ , so Transmission detects the nightly builds? In the latest version (r9958), even if I have selected Include beta releases, it doesn't show any update (even if in that website shows up r9959 as available).
Ryoujin

Post by Ryoujin »

Any information? It just detected the latest stable version, but it doesn't detect any nightly build, with the terminal command I was able to make it work, but since the websites switched...