Transmission Beta Automatic Updates Feed

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
bjg

Transmission Beta Automatic Updates Feed

Post by bjg »

Hi,
I have created an AppCast for Transmission which will provide automatic updates based on releases from http://chucker.mystfans.com/opensource/transmission/

All you have to do to get it working in Transmission is to run the following command in Terminal ( /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app ) all on one line:

Code: Select all

defaults write org.m0k.transmission SUFeedURL 'http://transbet.white.prohosting.com/TransmissionBetaAppcast.xml'
And thats it!
Hope this helps,
bjg
chucker

Post by chucker »

So, did you create some script that will update this automatically?
bjg

Re: Transmission Beta Automatic Updates Feed

Post by bjg »

Yes, i run an applescript once a day that updates the appcast feed from chucker's site
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

Chucker, can't you include this in your script?
softwareelves
Web Interface Developer

Post by softwareelves »

you guys could use svn and "roll your own", it's probably easier :P
cluthi

Post by cluthi »

For a lambda user who probably doesn't have subversion installed, I think clicking the Install Update button is easier. ;-) But indeed it would be great that chucker includes this appcast createion in his scripts.
chucker

Post by chucker »

Waldorf wrote:Chucker, can't you include this in your script?
cluthi wrote:But indeed it would be great that chucker includes this appcast createion in his scripts.
Fair enough… try

Code: Select all

defaults write org.m0k.transmission SUFeedURL 'http://chucker.mystfans.com/opensource/transmission/Transmission-nightly-appcast.xml'
Haven't tested this yet.
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

One problem, sometimes the latest build isn't compiled, though the latest scource has been put online. thus the latest Transmission-latest.dmg may refer to an 'older' build, which causes sparkle to keep suggesting newer versions!
It seems to work otherwise!

(btw I do roll my own svn, with a small number of patches of my own... :wink: )
chucker

Post by chucker »

Waldorf wrote:One problem, sometimes the latest build isn't compiled, though the latest scource has been put online.
That discrepancy typically occurs when a newer revision has no changes in trunk, or only in non-OS X and non-library code (e.g., BeOS-specific, or Gtk+-specific). No new build will be made because, well, nothing changed.
thus the latest Transmission-latest.dmg may refer to an 'older' build, which causes sparkle to keep suggesting newer versions!
That would be a bug in the appcast. I assume you're referring to bjg's?
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

chucker wrote:That discrepancy typically occurs when a newer revision has no changes in trunk, or only in non-OS X and non-library code (e.g., BeOS-specific, or Gtk+-specific). No new build will be made because, well, nothing changed.
That explains it, so the problem is that you update the appcast, though there is no build! (I have no idea what bjg is/are, so I'm definitely not referring to that)

It is no bug in the appcast! If the svn has no effect on the osx-version then it is not build (obviously no point in doing that!), however the appcast does have an entry to the latest (~) svn (and the Transmission-latest.dmg).

I dont know how/when you check wether or not to build? Maybe then is a good moment to update the appcast file too. And, if possible, refer to the 'numbered' dmg instead of the *latest.dmg.
chucker

Post by chucker »

Waldorf wrote:And, if possible, refer to the 'numbered' dmg instead of the *latest.dmg.
Why?
cluthi

Post by cluthi »

If you only update the appcast when you actually produce a dmg, there's indeed not point using numbered dmg instead of latest.
BigBossman

Post by BigBossman »

chucker, is the feed going to be updated? Or are you not going to continue it?
chucker

Post by chucker »

Sorry, fixed.
BigBossman

Post by BigBossman »

nice, thanks