Port Forwarding for Multiple Computers?

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
Kot_Carson

Port Forwarding for Multiple Computers?

Post by Kot_Carson »

Hello everyone,

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Transmission and have the official Transmission client as well as Transmission-qt installed all our household's computers. That's my laptop, my wife's Macbook Pro, an older computer we use strictly for watching stuff on TV, and my home office's huge iMac.

What I'd like to know is how do you enable port forwarding on a Belkin AC1200FE Router, that will be usable by all the computer's in the house.

I don't want to open a port only to find that it's only open for one computer and not the rest of them.

Thanks a lot, I know this question isn't really about Transmission, but since I love the app so much I figure there must be someone here who can answer my question!

Thanks again!

~ Kot
rb07

Re: Port Forwarding for Multiple Computers?

Post by rb07 »

Using Transmissio's settings (a.k.a. Preferences), choose:
  • Pick a random port every time Transmission is started. An option is to set a different port on each client, instead of using a random port. Which one is better? setting a fixed, different port, on each (but its more user work, the other is easier, but may not always work).
  • Use UPnP or NAT-PMP for forwarding from my router
On the router, enable UPnP (I don't know if a Belkin AC1200FE has the option, or not).

Off-topic: Why run several instances of Transmission on a LAN? I would rather use transmission on a (good) NAS (or any other kind of server), and share the files.
Kot_Carson

Post by Kot_Carson »

The computer that we use on the TV isn't capable of NAS anything, It's extremely old, but it's still good enough to output to the TV via VGA & a Stereo Cable with a huge resolution
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Do you know what a NAS is?

Your reply is off-mark (i.e. I didn't propose to convert anything to a NAS, which, by the way, doesn't need to be "powerful", at least not for file sharing, but media server is another story if it has to do transcoding) that computer with output to a TV is just a player, which could get its files from a NAS, or anything doing file sharing... but as I said before, this is off-topic.