Transmission Daemon on Ubuntu Server and Xbox One on same network

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
buddstud2006

Transmission Daemon on Ubuntu Server and Xbox One on same network

Post by buddstud2006 »

Hello,

Let me start off by saying I have novice networking understanding, so I will try to post this as clear as possible. I have a Ubuntu 15.10 Server with OpenVPN running Transmission Daemon on port 9091. I also have an Xbox One on the same network. The router I am using is a new Netgear R6400 router. Note, I did not have this issue with my old, dated, Linksys router. I have an issue where I cant use Transsmission and play Xbox at the same time. For Example if Torrents are running or even Transmission is running and not downloading, I cant connect to Xbox parties. The same is the opposite if I restart my router and start using Xbox One first, then Transmission can open but not connect to any torrents, even when Im not on the Xbox.

I believe the issue is with ports, specifically ports 53 and 80. Both Transmission and Xbox One forums I have read have suggested these ports be opened in the port forwarding page of my router. At this time, I have not assigned, or port forwarded these ports for either the IP address for my server or my Xbox. I also understand from other forums, that multiple local IPs can not be forwarded to the same port(e.g. open port 80 for both 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.200).

Has anyone else had the issue? and if so, how did they go about fixing it? Can these ports be changed for Transmission? and if so, how? I have scoured the transmissin/ubuntu/xbox forums for an answer to this, but havent had any luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!