Can Transmission be configured for VPNs?

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
weybrew

Can Transmission be configured for VPNs?

Post by weybrew »

I have been reading in consumer newsletters about the advisability of using VPNs with BitTorrent activity. As a relative novice senior user I am asking for advice. I was directed to Transmission (QT for Windows) as my BitTorrent client and find it works fine for my very simple usage, but I don't want to risk ISP intervention. I have configured Transmission with peer-block active. Can/should I use a VPN?
angelonyc

Re: Can Transmission be configured for VPNs?

Post by angelonyc »

Yes, I just joined IPVanish.. It was said to be the fastest.. With Transmission though it is running about 1/10 the speed.. Transmission cannot find an open port.. (which I know makes speeds very slow.. IPVanish did not really give me any satisfactory answers.. None of the ternimalogy between the two apps is the same. Can't even seem to find one transfer protocol....

I've gotten 'nicked' a couple of times from ISP... Don't want to risk more.
weybrew

Post by weybrew »

Thanks for the comment, angelonyc.
weybrew

Post by weybrew »

Thanks for your remarks, peterbuttler.
ichy2009

Post by ichy2009 »

Hi,
Yes, my provider explicitly allows P2P for most of his servers (xxxtcp:443, xxxudp:1194).
https://whoer.net/fr# in [extended version] : ip.ports.opened : 80, 1080, 1723, 8080

I can open the ports 1723, 443, 1194 for Transmission.
mpassosbr

Post by mpassosbr »

Hi everybody.

I tried Transmission with NordVPN, CyberGhost and ProtonVPN. It didn't find an open port in any of these providers. Any suggestions?