Transmissions with Express VPN not seeding?

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
13Hours

Transmissions with Express VPN not seeding?

Post by 13Hours »

I'm running transmissions with Express VPN which I unfortunately found out after purchase that they don't support port forwarding.
When i download a torrent I get max speed from my service up to (18Mbps) no problem.
During the download I get good up load speeds (appx) 300 plus KB.
Once the download is complete the seed upload speed then drops off to zero and stays there.
from that point it will not connect to peers and it only connects to 1 of 4 trackers.
The other trackers just have (failed to connect)
In transmissions preference port 51413 the default is closed and if i test it I'm unreachable through it.
I have trouble shot the modem and ISP and I know they are not throttling or shaping my traffic.
If i turn the VPN off all speed is back to normal up and download.

Question
My understanding is that the port forwarding that needs to take place is at the VPN server side and not at my router.
Port forwarding my router will just leave my system open and vulnerable.
Since Express VPN does not support port forwarding am I just stuck with no solution or work around to be able to seed torrents other then switch VPNs?
I have searched the net and there are mixed statements that port forwarding is not necessary when using a VPN?
Is there something I'm missing in setting or preferences with transmissions or Express VPN that will fix connecting to peers, trackers and allow me to seed.
Or have I shot my self in the foot with a VPN not supporting Port forwarding? I did a lot of research and Express had great reviews and was recommended my many sites for torrent?
Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Oh and if the solution is, find a new VPN. Recommendations are well come Please.
My other considerations were PIA, AirVPN.

Mac mini (Late 2014)
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Transmissions
2.92 (14714)

Att Uverse router
Model 3801HGV
13Hours

Re: Transmissions with Express VPN not seeding?

Post by 13Hours »

Once downloading is complete I'm getting an average of 20 to 30 MB upload in a 24hr period over a week time. And only one tracker is connecting out of 4. Is there anyone out there using Express VPN or have had a similar issue?
bmc5311

Post by bmc5311 »

I'm having the same issue - have you found a solution?
13Hours

Post by 13Hours »

Well, not to many responses were made so I had to investigate myself. Turns out, if you want to seed or receive incoming inquiries you have to enable port forwarding. So your VPN must support port forwarding or your not going to seed at a useful rate and in my case that was about 10Mb and hour. Also the port forward has to be at the end or output side of the tunnel and so don't port forward your home router because this leaves you open and vulnerable to hacks. PIA has been recommended by a majority of the sites I visited. I sure there's a lot more out there to but They support port forwading and allow you to change ports forwarded my changing locations so your not always having the same port open and if you don't want to forward you don't have to. Bottom line your VPN must support port forwading.
bmc5311

Post by bmc5311 »

Thank you.
So in a nutshell - if I want my private tracker to see my torrents I need to get rid of ExpressVPN and go with PIA.
13Hours

Post by 13Hours »

Or any other that supports port forwarding
bmc5311

Post by bmc5311 »

Thanks for the tip - switched to PIA, and all working well.