Migrating from Mac OS to Linux

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
jackmarison93

Migrating from Mac OS to Linux

Post by jackmarison93 »

At the moment I have Mac Mini running with Transmission with the torrents on the external drive.
I would like to migrate this to a Linux machine so I can re-use the Mac Mini for something else.

I've searched this forum for migration topics, but the ones I find are for migrating on the same OS, whereas I will be changes OS.
Of course I will need to format the drive to something Linux can properly use, and put the torrent files there.
But how do I connect the the torrents in Transmission again? I also don't have the .torrent files anymore, though I might be able to get a hold of those again if really needed.

I was thinking of using the cli version of Transmission, and create a directory which I then share to place the .torrent file on to be automatically added to the client.
Though I might have to re-think that because of a private tracker I use.

Anyway, hope anyone has some guidelines for me.
Thanks in advance!
killemov

Re: Migrating from Mac OS to Linux

Post by killemov »

Without the .torrent files this has nothing to do with any bittorrent client. I agree with switching to better supported filesystem like ext2/3/4 for Linux. However you don't have to do that immediately because you can usually mount Mac-formatted partitions in Linux. For example: How to read and write HFS+ journaled external HDD in Ubuntu without access to OS X?

When you want to attach the content to Transmission again you just need to re-add the torrent to the Linux instance of Transmission and set the download folder to where the content is. If you can still view the torrents on your Mac then they are all there in some system folder. If there are a lot of torrents you should set the download-dir in settings.json to your content folder before adding them all.