unrequested torrent is downloading

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
jamaroney

unrequested torrent is downloading

Post by jamaroney »

I don't know if this is the proper place for this question, but an Internet search has proved fruitless, so here goes:

My FreeBSD-based XigmaNAS (formerly FreeNAS) server runs Transmission 2.94.

Over the last two weeks, a mysterious unrequested torrent has downloaded onto my server on two separate occasions, always starting late at night and completing by early morning before I awake. It's an 11.5GB file entitled "Z2019-03-17_07-08-03.mp4". It's a video (almost 4 hours long) of someone playing a video game!

How can an unrequested torrent be directed to download on my server? The server always runs on a VPN. I randomly changed Transmission's incoming port number after the first download incident (the previous port number was chosen randomly as well), but to no avail.

Are there are any other settings changes I can make to prevent this from happening again?
fandicat1900

Re: unrequested torrent is downloading

Post by fandicat1900 »

Hi Jamaroney,

Is your Transmission protected with username/password? I suspect not..

It doesn't matter if your server is on a VPN, if it's facing the internet with an open port then anyone can find it with a port scanner etc. I believe that you have mistakenly changed your 'incoming' port number, when you should change the port number that Transmission runs on (default 9091). Anyway, security through obscurity isn't a good idea, so you should probably change the port number, and secure your Transmission with username and password aswell.

All the best
jamaroney

Post by jamaroney »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I changed the port number. I then added a username and password, but after doing so, Transmission wouldn't allow me access to the WebGUI. After several frustrating attempts, I gave up. Hopefully, the port change will be sufficient.
hpapagaj

Post by hpapagaj »

Same situation here. My server is available only from VPN (no open ports!) and my Transmission is secured with username and hard password.

Do you use any automatic torrent fetch software? Like flexget, showrss.info?
Drew7

Post by Drew7 »

Add me to the people facing same problem.I dont think anyone would be using automatic fetch software...Do anyone?..And can someone pls solution here if it exists