Can you block download of certain files contained in a torrent?

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
Alun

Can you block download of certain files contained in a torrent?

Post by Alun »

Hi, sorry if this has been answered before in post but I failed to find the answer.

I have been a long-time user of Transmission. I have recently been downloading music that I already own in FLAC format. I use XLD to convert the FLAC to lossless .m4a to use with Apple Music. Most torrents seem to include a playlist .m3u file which means one is created in Apple Music which I don't like/want (sorry its my OCD!).

This got me to thinking - can you block the download of certain file types included in a torrent in Transmission? That way I could drop the whole folder onto XLD to convert and then drop the resulting folder into Apple Music without creating that blasted playlist for me! :lol:

Thanks in advance of any replies
fuga

Re: Can you block download of certain files contained in a torrent?

Post by fuga »

I drop folders containing M3Us and other stuff onto XLD almost every day. The only things in resulting folders are the music, in my case ALACs.

And thanks to you, utilizedsmock. More than once I've wondered why that happened when I was doing a selective download.
darmok

Post by darmok »

Alun wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:10 pm I use XLD to convert the FLAC to lossless .m4a to use with Apple Music.
Me too! Kindof a PITA to do it, but I do hear the difference, so it's worth it.
can you block the download of certain file types included in a torrent in Transmission?
Block *.m3u instead of just unchecking the individual file? hum. Transmission doesn't support that, but I think it's a great idea!

- Dan.
darmok

Post by darmok »

Ok. Having 2nd thoughts. I think Transmission needs to download the whole thing. The block needs to be in XLD.
fuga

Post by fuga »

darmok wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:45 pm Ok. Having 2nd thoughts. I think Transmission needs to download the whole thing. The block needs to be in XLD.
I don't do anything special in XLD (i.e. 'block'). I just take the whole folder and drop onto XLD. It simply ignores all files but the FLACs/audio. It's as if all M3U, TXT, JPEG, PNG, NFO, whatevers were not present.
darmok

Post by darmok »

The problem is that during the subsequent drop onto iTunes, or onto the Automatically Add folder, the m3u file gets used to create an unwanted play list.
fuga

Post by fuga »

More detail: When I drop that folder onto XLD I have XLD save the new files to a new folder - Artist > Album. I then drag/drop other files/folders from the original to the new (e.g. info.txt, Artwork, etc.).