settings.json

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
Papka__

settings.json

Post by Papka__ »

Is it possible to get complete list of setts for transmission? I check settings.json, but seems it's not full list. For example on the forum I found that it's possible to add setts for proxy server.
theCrank

Re: settings.json

Post by theCrank »

I'd like to see a documented settings.json, too.

What about linking it on http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/ConfigFiles ?
I'll do it - if someone can send me a commented settings-file with all possible options.
volenin

Post by volenin »

Yeap, I vote for this one too. The next best thing to the complete settings file I got to was to run transmission from the desktop, which generated settings.json file with much more settings that are covered on the trac. Running transmission in headless mode is very hard because quite important settings are not being covered in the documentation right now...
gdb

Post by gdb »

Hi
Im running transmission-daemon on Ubuntu server 8.10
I have created a file $HOME/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json
with my required settings( "download-dir": "\/media\/store\/incoming", )
but for some reason the file is not read all the permissions are correct and the *.restore files are read.

when I check the Preferences on the web gui it shows the download dir is /

Does anybody know why transmission-daemon is not reading the settings.json file

cat /home/transmission/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json
{
"blocklist-enabled": 0,
"download-dir": "\/media\/store\/incoming",
"download-limit": 100,
"download-limit-enabled": 0,
"encryption": 2,
"max-peers-global": 200,
"peer-port": 51413,
"pex-enabled": 1,
"port-forwarding-enabled": 0,
"rpc-access-control-list": "+127.0.0.1",
"rpc-authentication-required": 0,
"rpc-password": "",
"rpc-port": 9091,
"rpc-username": "3",
"upload-limit": 3,
"upload-limit-enabled": 1,
"proxy": 192.168.0.106,
"proxy-port": 3128,
"proxy-enabled": 1
}
volenin

Post by volenin »

Have the same problem after upgrading to SVN 8322 (either 1.6beta1 or couple of updates later). settings.json file for daemon is not longer being read. Has the default TRANSMISSION_HOME directory changed? I'm not redefining it right now in the init.d script, so it (supposedly) defaults to $HOME/.config/transmission-daemon/ directory....

EDIT: correction: the settings.json file seems to be read after all, it's just not all (I'd rather say - just a few) settings are being picked up. Eg, the "peer-port" setting is being picked up correctly and displayed in the webui. Any upload/download limits are not.
xonstone

Post by xonstone »

Have you tried for upload-limits:

Code: Select all

"speed-limit-up": 3,
"speed-limit-up-enabled": true,
instead of:

Code: Select all

"upload-limit": 3,
"upload-limit-enabled": 1,
volenin

Post by volenin »

In fact, it works. Thanks for the tip. The WIKI is out of date then.

PS: FYI, similar settings are used to set 'download' limits as well:

"speed-limit-down": 400,
"speed-limit-down-enabled": true,
"speed-limit-up": 25,
"speed-limit-up-enabled": true,
blackjancsi

Post by blackjancsi »

Hey guys,

I am at a complete loss. Why are there six different parameters now? What is what? Sorry, but I can't find a good description to these... :-(
speed-limit-down
speed-limit-up
upload-limit
download-limit
alt-speed-down
alt-speed-up

Also, my password gets rewritten in the settings.json file. I give it a simple value when it is off (letters and numbers, let's say 8), then write that into the etc/init.d script, also initialize the daemon with it, and I end up having a VERY long password in the file. Nevertheless, it still accepts the short one from the web UI, and the transmission-remote routine. Is this some rendering problem? I am running it on a WD MyBook, through Busybox.

Thanks for any advice,
blackjancsi
Vedko

Post by Vedko »

Hey... it's been quite a time since the last posting, but I'll post a few info anyway... hope it helps...

From the above I assume that the "speed-limit-up" is a newer name of setting to "upload-limit", at least my settings.json file is using the first one. The same applies for "speed-limit-down" and "download-limit".

"alt-speed-" settings are applying to the built-in scheduler - I for example want to limit the Transmission not to use my full bandwidth while I'm at home and (can be) using internet; but when I'm in the office I don't care so Transmission can use my full bandwidth.

For more info refer to http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/EditConfigFiles
Note: this will pretty much explain you "what" the particular settings mean, however, the pick up the "right" values may be a bit more tricky. For that, Google is your friend ;)