Firefox and transmission on Linux

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
SuperDuper

Firefox and transmission on Linux

Post by SuperDuper »

If you link *.torrent files on firefox to transmission it will only work when transmission isn't already started.
If transmission is already running and you are trying to add another torrent file you will get the error msg: "transmission is already running."
Maybe you can change this.
If transmission is already running it should add the torrent file automatically like ktorrent.
gigiwwa

Re: Firefox and transmission on Linux

Post by gigiwwa »

i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM... EVERYTHING WAS FINE BEFORE UPGRADING TO THE NEWST VERSION AS I HAD SOME PROBLEMS WITH SSL. AMD MOW TRANSMISSION IS NO MORE ADDING MY TORRENTS AUTOMATICALLY.
careta

Post by careta »

hello

i just registered to say that i have the same problem. I use Linux, even when starting with the command-line, if transmission is already running, i get this message instead of the torrent being added automatically... I used to work fine with v1.32

BTW, i think that choosing the default download folder doesn't work - it always asks to put on the Desktop.
fahlmanc

Post by fahlmanc »

I tried it using firefox on ubuntu and it works for me.
(Transmission was already running. I clicked a link to a torrent file, firefox asked me what I wanted to do with it, I chose to open it with Transmission, Transmission then asked whether I wished to add the file.)
I am using Transmission 1.42+.

What does the bittorrent seed file entry say in the Firefox Applications preferences?

This is the torrent I tried it with, to test: http://sourceforge.net/project/download ... r=internap. It's served with content type application/x-bittorrent, should that make a difference.
careta

Post by careta »

The bittorrent seed file says "ask every time", but when i choose to use the transmission client it's the same.

I believe the problem is in transmission because as i said above, even when i add a torrent file by the command line (when transmission is already running) I get the error message.

EDIT: Problem seens to be SOLVED using transmission 1.50b2. But it still defaults to the Desktop folder, instead of the chosen folder in preferences!
fahlmanc

Post by fahlmanc »

Hi, for me the download location setting works. In the ~/.config/transmission/settings.json I have:
"download-dir": "\/home\/chris\/torrentdls",
which is what I've set.

I would check this file. Possibly it is wrong or corrupted. Also, have you checked in your home directory for the old settings file for transmission (it may be in a folder called .transmission ... I don't recall exactly). If it exists, possibly you could remove it to see if the issue with the download location resolves itself.