Transmission 1.50 Released

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
John Clay
Transmission Project

Transmission 1.50 Released

Post by John Clay »

Transmission 1.50 is now available for download.
A complete list of tickets closed can be seen here.
Thanks to CacheFly for providing bandwidth.

All Platforms
  • IPv6 support for peers, and for trackers with explicit IPv6 addresses
  • Improved connectivity for encrypted peers
  • Fix 1.42 error that made tracker announces slower over time
  • Fix a Mac-centric peer connection bug from 1.41
  • Use less CPU cycles when managing very fast peers
  • Better handling of non-UTF-8 torrent files
  • When removing local data, only remove data from the torrent
  • Close potential DoS vulnerability in 1.41
  • Many other bugfixes
GTK+
  • Various usability improvements
  • Better Gnome HIG compliance in the statusbar, properties dialog, and more
Daemon
  • Lots of new options added to transmission-remote
  • Fix 1.42 whitelist bug
  • Make i18n support optional for cli and daemon clients
CLI
  • Support session.json settings, just as the Daemon and GTK+ clients do
Web Interface
  • Torrents can now be added by URL
  • Add the ability to "remove local data" from the web client
Debu

Re: Transmission 1.50 Released

Post by Debu »

I have the same problems that I had with 1.5 beta 6:

http://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtop ... f=1&t=7055

No comment or feedback re: those problems and no fix in the final release -- which is apparently the last release to support Tiger. Sorta frustrated, but I know it's a labor of love for the devs. Can't use what I can't control. Back to 1.50 beta 5.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

Debu: those controls have been like that since before 1.40 (on Tiger).
Exp

Post by Exp »

1.50 final is locking up after several minutes. Just tried 1.22 again I didn't get the lockup.
Weaselboy

Post by Weaselboy »

1.50 final working fine here on OS X 10.5.6 with four torrents running. Transmission taking full advantage of my 1400/180KBs cap and nicely distributing uploads among peers.

Thanks for the update.
Debu

Post by Debu »

livings124 wrote:Debu: those controls have been like that since before 1.40 (on Tiger).
Thanks, but I assume you're referring to the priority controls in Torrent Inspector. I can live with that -- especially since I know where they are.

The start/pause buttons for individual torrents -- located to the right of each individual torrent status bar in the main Trans window -- didn't work in Beta 6 and do not work in the 1.5 final release. That is too hard to live with. That means that the only way to start/pause torrents is by using the "Pause all transfers" and "Resume all transfers" buttons at the top of the main Trans window. I almost always have completed torrents waiting to seed; I queue some of them up for seeding to a certain ratio and I hold some of them for possible future seeding - depending on perceived need. If I have to use the Pause all/Resume all buttons, I have to start all of them at once and must stop all of them, if any. Add to that the fact that the operation of the queue function is not exactly predictable, and the result is a loss of a whole lot of control over what is and isn't running.

Those buttons still work in Beta 5.

Anyway, I use those individual torrent start/stop buttons all the time (I almost never use the pause all and resume all buttons) and have a hard time seeing how I can reasonably proceed without them. I guess I could delete all non-running torrents and add them back in when I want to download/seed, or somehow work around the deficiency in other ways, but that seems terribly inconvenient.

I know you guys are working hard at stuff and it's your call as far as what is and is not functionally important, but from my perspective the individual start/pause button is a MAJOR feature/function. As such, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to say that Trans 1.5 is supported under Tiger when those individual torrent controls don't work.

That's my take anyway. If you decide that that feature is not that important I'll just have to stay with Beta 5 until I upgrade to Leopard. (The reason I haven't is because DiskWarrior can't be run on my MacBook Pro except in firewire target disk mode from a computer running 10.4.11 -- last I checked anyway. I already have the Leopard system upgrade.)

In any event, thanks for the response -- at least I know I wasn't wasting my time posting my observations. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Debu on Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avberk

Post by avberk »

'remove local data' removes the data, but not the folder. (webinterface of transmission-daemon)

It would be nice if the folder could be removed as well.
eisa01

Post by eisa01 »

@Debu: Customize the toolbar, it is buttons for pausing/resuming just the selected torrent
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

Debu: No part of the Mac interface has changed since 1.40. What you are seeing is random on Tiger and always has been. Perhaps download Transmission again?
ronv

Post by ronv »

Just compiled and updated an hour ago and everything looks great under Centos 5.2. Great update. Bandwidth distribution looks good and encrypted clients are connecting. :mrgreen:
Ink

Post by Ink »

I too am experiencing the pause and resume buttons not working since updating to 1.50. And I am also running 10.4.11 because of a certain program that I have to be able to run for work will not run on 10.5 yet. This is a serious inconvenience. however you do not need to "pause all" or "resume all". You can simply select the torrent you want to pause or resume and go to to the transfers tab up top and either "resume selected" or "pause selected". I really hope they release a fix for this shortly.
locklin

Post by locklin »

Where are the groups settings? they disappear completely!
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

locklin wrote:Where are the groups settings? they disappear completely!
essiw

Post by essiw »

livings124 wrote:
I read somewhere that 1.5x would be the last stable version for 10.4.11 so that means tiger does not get groups?
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

essiw wrote:
livings124 wrote:
I read somewhere that 1.5x would be the last stable version for 10.4.11 so that means tiger does not get groups?
That is correct.