DHT implementation

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
jch

Re: DHT implementation

Post by jch »

> how do I know if I have successfully 'connected' to the DHT?

Currently, you don't. At some point, the GUI developers will add this information to the interface (I've exported all the hooks they need). (Hint, hint.)

> Does each torrent have its own DHT, or is there just one DHT for all torrents?

There's just one global DHT.

> Do DHT peers show up as coming from the DHT in the 'peers' tab of the inspector?

Peers that you learnt about from the DHT and successfully connected to appear with an « H » in the peers tab. Peers that learnt about you from the DHT and connected to you appear as normal incoming peers, with an « I ».

--Juliusz
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

In the Mac UI, the inspector will say how many peers are from DHT and will display "From: DHT" for peers in the tooltips.
jch

Post by jch »

livings124 wrote:In the Mac UI, the inspector will say how many peers are from DHT and will display "From: DHT" for peers in the tooltips.
Excellent.

I'm completely useless at GUI design, but if I may venture an idea, you might want to consider exporting the tor->dhtAnnounceInProgress and tor->dhtAnnounceAt fields in the trackers pane (I'm thinking of a single field, say DHT announce due in, that either gives a time in minutes or says in progress).

--Juliusz
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

jch wrote:
livings124 wrote: I'm completely useless at GUI design, but if I may venture an idea, you might want to consider exporting the tor->dhtAnnounceInProgress and tor->dhtAnnounceAt fields in the trackers pane (I'm thinking of a single field, say DHT announce due in, that either gives a time in minutes or says in progress).
Good idea, I'll create a ticket for that for 1.80.
jah

Post by jah »

thanks for your answers guys. just so you know, i have since been able to connect to DHT peers so it looks like the feature is working fine! sweet! however putting info in the tracker tab would also be useful. cheers
theCrank

Post by theCrank »

are there any ports that need to be opened for DHT? AFAIK there must be an UDP-Port available.
I'm using transmission-daemon and want to use DHT, too. But i can't check if it's working. At least my torrent's won't download any faster and there are no unusual numbers of connected peers.
jch

Post by jch »

theCrank wrote:are there any ports that need to be opened for DHT? AFAIK there must be an UDP-Port available.
Yes, the same port number as the TCP port, but using UDP.
I'm using transmission-daemon and want to use DHT, too. But i can't check if it's working.
On the host running the daemon, run

Code: Select all

tcpdump -n -i eth0 udp and port 6881
replacing eth0 with the name of your Ethernet interface, and 6881 with the port number you're using. If you see on the order of one packet every two seconds, all is fine. If you're seeing the occasional packet, you've got a NAT problem. If you're seeing no incoming packets at all, only outgoing ones, then you have a firewall problem.
At least my torrent's won't download any faster and there are no unusual numbers of connected peers.
That's normal. With a working tracker, DHT won't give you any more peers than what you get from the tracker, and there's no reason why it should.

The DHT is a big win when the tracker is down or overloaded. The DHT will also give you access to the peers that for some reason cannot access the trackers.
theCrank

Post by theCrank »

Thanks for the reply jch.

tcpdump shows some output, it looks like it tries to establish a lot of connections. The funny thing is: Transmission tries to aquire a TCP port via UPnP but not an UDP port. So: There's not port that others can connect to.
jch

Post by jch »

Transmission tries to aquire a TCP port via UPnP but not an UDP port.
http://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/2191
theCrank

Post by theCrank »

Hm, i haven't found this when i searched for "dht port". I should stop searching bugtrackers when i'm half asleep.

Well, i'll just wait.