question about preallocation and skipping files...

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
cutcopypaste

question about preallocation and skipping files...

Post by cutcopypaste »

i'm not 100% certain but as far as I can tell, if I download the first and last files of a 10 file torrent totalling 1gig (100 mbs each file) then it ends up using up 1 full gig rather than 200 mb?
i'm not really sure because the files in question were randomly removed from transmission for some reason and i can't find the original torrent files.. but i think i have incomplete downloads taking up the full amount of disc space.
roderick

Re: question about preallocation and skipping files...

Post by roderick »

yes this is annoying, especially when dealing with large files.
dukdukgoos

Re: question about preallocation and skipping files...

Post by dukdukgoos »

Sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead, but I'm wondering if there's any way to resolve this? Unlike what x190 said above, it would actually be 400mb used in the above example, as if even a tiny part of the skipped file overlaps torrent 'pieces' it will allocate the entire file. I have many torrents where multi GB skipped files are taking up space on the disk due to preallocation of the entire file size of a partially downloaded skipped file. I could turn off preallocation entirely, but won't that lead to excessive fragmentation? Hoping there's a sane solution to this...