Transmission 1.74 Released!

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
livings124
Transmission Developer

Re: Transmission 1.74 Released!

Post by livings124 »

nemodomi wrote:
livings124 wrote:The people that want the feature back: why not set Transmission to delete the file when adding the transfer - why do you need it after (and if you do need it, why don't you just use the menu item in the File menu)? I've yet to hear an argument of why it should be kept.
I for one did not at first understand/realize about setting Transmission to delete the file when adding the transfer. Now that I do, all's good. Thanks for the advisory and for this great product.
Perhaps this should default to enabled in a future release?
nemodomi

Post by nemodomi »

livings124 wrote:
nemodomi wrote:
livings124 wrote:The people that want the feature back: why not set Transmission to delete the file when adding the transfer - why do you need it after (and if you do need it, why don't you just use the menu item in the File menu)? I've yet to hear an argument of why it should be kept.
I for one did not at first understand/realize about setting Transmission to delete the file when adding the transfer. Now that I do, all's good. Thanks for the advisory and for this great product.
Perhaps this should default to enabled in a future release?
That's a tough call. You'd be likely to see complaints about THAT, too, eh?! :roll:
jondrum418

Post by jondrum418 »

I see the use of both sides of it. One side, you delete the torrent file upon enter and let Transmission handle everything from there on out, thus saving you having to even think about Trashing the file when it's finished. The other side of it though, I side with. I have always kept my torrent files, every last one of them, incase I delete a program I downloaded and then later decide I want it back, and mainly just the control aspect. I know exactly where my torrent files are and where the data files are at all times if I so chose to view either or. I think the concept of what was trying to be accomplished with 1.74 is good but it was done in the worst possible way that made the program almost more of a hassle than anything. I would say, yeah some of you might not use the "Remove Torrent File" or "Remove All Files" (I believe only one person from what I read so far), but if everyone one else that uses the program is adamant about using it, as I am, then leave it in. If it's not hindering the code going forward then why take out something 90% of your people range feel necessary. I'm going back to 1.73 until I see a new release myself. Hoping to see those two features back in otherwise I don't think I'll ever update Transmission again.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

jondrum418: You can recover the torrent file with command-S, making it easier to find than looking through a folder. So your only argument is negated. ;)
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

Do we have such thing as "Delete the file when adding the transfer"?
I only see Transfers > "Trash original torrent file".
Same thing?
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

Those are the same thing. "Trash original torrent file" is under the "When adding..." section.
lostintravise

Post by lostintravise »

Everything's great so far on Snow Leopard except this removal of "Remove All Files". It is kind of annoying because I like to have my torrent files organized into folders specific to the particular tracker they are on because it is neat. I don't want to create a new torrent file whenever the time comes up because I never use the torrent file outside of just organization. You may think, "hey, that's kind of pointless" but it is just what I am used to.

I understand why people are mad with this and I also understand why the DEVs took it out. I personally am just going to move on and manually move my torrent files into specific folders like I always do because that's what I'm used to. When it boils down to it having the torrent file tied to a torrent already in your client is kind of pointless anyways. Nice move DEVs, and thank you for the amazing software.

:D
dude

Post by dude »

There seems to be a problem with seeding progress display which is supposed to be a new feature in the web interface in 1.74. I have built transmission-daemon 1.74 from source (ubuntu 9.04, headless server) and I do not see the seeding progress, the progress bar is just like 1.73. Any ideas?
trexx

Post by trexx »

mcclurec wrote:Has 1.74 been released to the launchpad server yet? I tried an apt-get upgrade transmission and it didn't do any updating. :?

It should be noted that I'm extremely new to linux and am running a headless server. Any help on upgrading would be appreciated. I follow the instructions in this thread, http://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtop ... =13&t=5604 but no joy. I'm pretty sure that when I installed it the first time I just did an apt-get install transmission, but when I just went to edit the /etc/apt/sources.list as per the previous thread's instructions, transmission wasn't listed. Am I way too lost?
It seems Hardy is still stuck on 1.73. Will this be updated?
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

trexx wrote:It seems Hardy is still stuck on 1.73. Will this be updated?
You'd have to ask the Ubuntu packagers. The Transmission project doesn't have any control over that.
trexx

Post by trexx »

Ah ok, I thought transmissionbt on launchpad was by the the dev's. I'll ask kab then. Thanks!
dude

Post by dude »

OK, I'll try again in a different way :) Did anyone see the following feature as promised in the release notes for 1.74?
Web Client
Progress bar shows seeding progress
Or is it just me not seeing it? In which case, should be there anything special in the config file to enable it?

Just curious. Thanks for your reply.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

dude wrote:There seems to be a problem with seeding progress display which is supposed to be a new feature in the web interface in 1.74. I have built transmission-daemon 1.74 from source (ubuntu 9.04, headless server) and I do not see the seeding progress, the progress bar is just like 1.73. Any ideas?
You need to set a seed ratio, either global or specific to a torrent, then you'll see the seed bar (same bar but with two colors, seed bar over download bar).
dude

Post by dude »

rb07 wrote:You need to set a seed ratio, either global or specific to a torrent, then you'll see the seed bar
That was helpful, thanks! I can see it now.
naddy

Post by naddy »

Just as a follow-up, 1.74 is fine for me on OpenBSD/sparc64 where Beta 1 failed.

To respond to some of the questions asked over in the Beta 1 thread:
  • The default stack size for a thread is 512kB.
  • Running Transmission under valgrind is not an option, because there is no valgrind port for this platform.