ANN: Transmission 1.83 Prerelease Available For Testing NOW

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
Jordan
Transmission Developer

ANN: Transmission 1.83 Prerelease Available For Testing NOW

Post by Jordan »

As you probably know, 1.80 was released last week. It has a lot of new features, bug fixes, and code improvements -- probably the most code changes in any release so far. Despite five beta test releases, there were still a couple of nasty bugs lurking in all those changes, causing the emergency 1.81 and 1.82 releases.

There are still a couple of showstopper bugs in 1.82 that keep it from being the release we'd hoped 1.80 would be. The most important ones are:
  1. a bug that caused both upload and download speeds both drop to 0 together at regular intervals
  2. a bug that caused slow generally slow downloads
  3. a bug that crashed Transmission sometimes.
These are all fixed now and 1.83 is ready to go -- it's now a prerelease testing period. Even if you've held off from using test builds before, now is the time to test a nightly build and report any new bugs you find. If some new bug that's been bothering you doesn't get reported now, it'll still be bothering you in 1.83.

Please report new bugs either in trac or in the support forum. Please read the other reports first to make sure you're not duplicating an existing bug report.

As an aside, Transmission's forum users deserve a lot of credit for helping test and track down the elusive "speeds both drop to 0 at regular intervals" bug. This kind of teamwork is one of free software's greatest strengths.
kalibannez

Re: ANN: Transmission 1.83 Prerelease Available For Testing NOW

Post by kalibannez »

Thank you, guys!
This release is working (1.8.2 and older- not on my Snow Leopard system)!
bollywood

Post by bollywood »

works great for me, my only gripe is the downloading of extra data problem, already reported here:
http://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/2671
scontin

Post by scontin »

I'm on Ubuntu Intrepid Kernel 2.6.27-7-generic i386. Tried transmission-svn10029, compiled from tarball with gtk-disable.
No torrent starts. 1.76 perfectly working.
:-(

Update:

I tried 1.80 and 1.81. These releases works.
So, a new bug was introduced in 1.82x series
CommChief

Post by CommChief »

I tried Transmission 1.82+ (build 10031) for Mac OS X. I'm running 10.5.8 on a 8-core 3.2GHz MacPro with 6GB RAM.

Unfortunately, Iam reverting back to 1.76. It seems that NONE of the private trackers I'm on are responding to any announces from (10031). I have attached an image of the status. Notice that the Last Announce remains as N/A. The time counts down to In progress... and then nothing; a Next announce time about two minutes later starts counting down.

Scrapes seem to work and some seeding does happen. But either the announces are failing without any response or (10031) is not displaying the response it's receiving.

Sorry guys, I'd like to test the new build but not until it has successful announces on the private trackers I use.
Attachments
TransmissionScreenSnapz002a.jpg
TransmissionScreenSnapz002a.jpg (77.31 KiB) Viewed 18705 times
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

scontin wrote:I'm on Ubuntu Intrepid Kernel 2.6.27-7-generic i386. Tried transmission-svn10029, compiled from tarball with gtk-disable.
No torrent starts. 1.76 perfectly working.
:-(

Update:

I tried 1.80 and 1.81. These releases works.
So, a new bug was introduced in 1.82x series
For the benefit of the forums: scontin outlined the problems more in ticket #2819 which is fixed now in r10032 and in the nightly builds (which are actually more-than-nightly ;)
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

CommChief wrote:It seems that NONE of the private trackers I'm on are responding to any announces from (10031). I have attached an image of the status. Notice that the Last Announce remains as N/A. The time counts down to In progress... and then nothing; a Next announce time about two minutes later starts counting down.
If you have a couple of minutes, could you come talk to me in #transmission in irc @ chat.freenode.net? That's probably the fastest way to help track down the issue.
Yada

Post by Yada »

In OS X (10.6.2) the contextual 'Show In Finder' does not do anything if I use it on a transfer of which I have de-selected files (i.e. torrents of which I only want a specific portion of). Running r10031.
BalleClorin

Post by BalleClorin »

Made debs of the nightlies too: http://www.noteng.no/geekblog/?p=368
Will update whenever I see a new svn rev.

Should work for atleast ubuntu karmic
dude

Post by dude »

BalleClorin
Thanks, will give it a run.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

1.83 is out now.