What Are The Possibilites Of Getting A Windows Port?

Feature requests for the Windows version of Transmission
DasFox

What Are The Possibilites Of Getting A Windows Port?

Post by DasFox »

Well to start out, I'm a Linux geek, but my Linux box is my nice box that Slackware runs on and it's not the box I want sitting, running 24/7 seeding.

So unfortunately my other box I have is Windows, that's the one that I seed and run my torrent clients on.

The thing is, in the Windows world open-source and free is not something you see often.

Sure most people in Windows are going to use uTorrent and it's a nice client, but it's not open-source so I don't want to touch it.

So far I use Deluge in Windows and it's ok, but I'd love it if the developers here could consider making a Windows port.

What do you think the possibilites could be on this?

THANKS
rb07

Re: What Are The Possibilites Of Getting A Windows Port?

Post by rb07 »

DasFox wrote:So far I use Deluge in Windows and it's ok, but I'd love it if the developers here could consider making a Windows port.
They have, in fact you have several choices... have you seen the Wiki?

Yes, the Wiki, specifically the section entitled "Building Transmission" https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/Building

Or you wanted it already built?

The options in short:
  • If you want to run the daemon (which is what I would use 24/7) install Cygwin, its gcc compiler and other required tools and dependencies (curl, openssl), build libevent, and then build transmission. Both those last builds are easy as pie.
  • If you want a GUI other than the daemon's Web client, then you can build Transmission-Qt (which also comes included with the Transmission sources), or use one of the builds I made available viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7612&start=15#p37848.
DasFox

Re: What Are The Possibilites Of Getting A Windows Port?

Post by DasFox »

rb07 wrote:
DasFox wrote:So far I use Deluge in Windows and it's ok, but I'd love it if the developers here could consider making a Windows port.
They have, in fact you have several choices... have you seen the Wiki?

Yes, the Wiki, specifically the section entitled "Building Transmission" https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/Building

Or you wanted it already built?

The options in short:
  • If you want to run the daemon (which is what I would use 24/7) install Cygwin, its gcc compiler and other required tools and dependencies (curl, openssl), build libevent, and then build transmission. Both those last builds are easy as pie.
  • If you want a GUI other than the daemon's Web client, then you can build Transmission-Qt (which also comes included with the Transmission sources), or use one of the builds I made available viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7612&start=15#p37848.

I know how to build from source code in Linux, which to me is a lot simpler, I personally don't care to build in Windows.

This is really great that you are building Windows packages.

Can I make a suggestion?

If you're the only one building a Windows port and you really like doing this then why don't you either get it put up on the Transmission download section or put up a Blog for this to make it look better, then just posting your builds and updates only on the forum?

Is QTransmission-2.01-Setup.exe your latest stable?

THANKS