Any updated news about an official windows build?

Feature requests for the Windows version of Transmission
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Re: Any updated news about an official windows build?

Post by mike.dld »

LeVvE wrote:I think he means the web UI, the web UI shows as 2.84+ (14608).
Then pardon me, indeed this is wrong. Re-uploaded once again, SHA-256 hashes:
  • transmission-2.92-x64.msi - e5cf47b367c73ea5edea5b0eeab4400bb08fef48d50cc8cfd307c4327b19bd93
  • transmission-2.92-x86.msi - c8d7014f4569376058715fd6045e17eb4c971625d71d182626666b8be554b876
I'm going to setup nightly builds for Windows, until then I'm bound to silly mistakes like this (running builds in unclean environment).
kIssGlaY

Post by kIssGlaY »

mike.dld wrote:
  • transmission-2.92-x64.msi - e5cf47b367c73ea5edea5b0eeab4400bb08fef48d50cc8cfd307c4327b19bd93
  • transmission-2.92-x86.msi - c8d7014f4569376058715fd6045e17eb4c971625d71d182626666b8be554b876
I'm going to setup nightly builds for Windows, until then I'm bound to silly mistakes like this (running builds in unclean environment).
Now it's working. Most PT banned using of client with PEERID_PREFIX set to something like -TR284Z-, only peer id of official release allowed.

BTW, if the path name or filename was named with some invalid characters reserved by windows(i.e. *?<> etc), transmission-daemon immediately crashed.
If the destination folder is ended with a explicit "\" or "/" like "c:\movie\", it crashes, without the trailing "\" or "/", it's fine.
potska

Post by potska »

mike.dld wrote:HTTPS (trackers, webseeds) - fixed, libcurl was built w/o openssl support
Magnet links - works for me (needs more details / investigation on your side)
Unable to save resume file - works for me (needs more details / investigation on your side)
Notifications for a finished downloads - valid, but not Windows-specific defect (needs to be registered and fixed; see #6095)
[/list]
Hello Mike, will these type of magnets work too like this 3f19b149f53a50e14fc0b79926a391896eabab6f (ubuntu as sample) and does Tr 2.92 work with --config-dir for you well?

EDIT:
I found workaround, transmission needs folders in config directories manually created: blocklists, Download, Resume, Torrents. I think bug is that Transmission is unable to create directories first time?
Last edited by potska on Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
hereforthecakes

Post by hereforthecakes »

Switched from deluge to the 2.92 windows build a few days ago. So far so good. So much lighter on resources than Deluge.

The "Open Folder" option when right clicking a torrent doesn't work. It's greyed out.
Transmission also really needs to fetch the metadata from magnets. Bit of a pain selectively downloading files from a torrent.
Last edited by hereforthecakes on Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

potska wrote:Hello Mike, will these type of magnets work too like this 3f19b149f53a50e14fc0b79926a391896eabab6f (ubuntu as sample) ...
Provided hash demagnetized in under 10 seconds and started downloading.
potska wrote:... and does Tr 2.92 work with --config-dir for you well?

EDIT:
I found workaround, transmission needs folders in config directories manually created: blocklists, Download, Resume, Torrents. I think bug is that Transmission is unable to create directories first time?
Just tried running with `--config-dir "%TEMP%\tr"` and it went well, didn't have to create any directories manually. Check if you need elevated privileges when accessing the configuration directory you're using, i.e. does running cmd.exe (as normal user) and executing `echo test > "%YOURCONFIGDIR%\test.txt"` fail with "Access is denied" error.
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

hereforthecakes wrote:The "Open Folder" option when right clicking a torrent doesn't work. It's greyed out.
This action is only available when 1) just a single torrent is selected, 2) this torrent has metadata fetched, and 3) Transmission is running its own session or is connected to local session (but see #5348).
hereforthecakes wrote:Transmission also really needs to fetch the metadata from magnets. Bit of a paint selectively downloading files from a torrent.
See #3253, #4808, #5940 (and maybe more).
potska

Post by potska »

Dont know but creating folders solved my problems and all write permissions are ok on my drive so my transmission 2.92 is perfectly working now.
kIssGlaY

Post by kIssGlaY »

kIssGlaY wrote: BTW, if the path name or filename was named with some invalid characters reserved by windows(i.e. *?<> etc), transmission-daemon immediately crashed.
If the destination folder is ended with a explicit "\" or "/" like "c:\movie\", it crashes, without the trailing "\" or "/", it's fine.
To be exact, it doesn't crash immediately, it crashes on its first attempt to flush data onto the disk, using path or filename with these invalid characters, so when the download speed is fast enough, it looks like crashes immediately.

This can also be reproduced by adding a torrent paused, with these invalid characters, and then select "trash data and remove from list", transmission crashed immediately.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

mike.dld wrote:
Bugs/issues I have noticed with this build on Windows 10 64bit.:

1) Search field is too long. It extends infinitely when the window is resized instead of staying consistent with the dropdown lists next to it.

2) Most tracker favicons are not being displayed while other clients like qBittorrent display them just fine. udp://tracker.example.com:80/announce is an example of a URL whose favicon DOES NOT get displayed. udp://tracker.coppersurfer.tk:6969/announce is an example of one URL whose favicon DOES get displayed. (Edit: "example" in example.com should read "openbittorrent" but there's a weird filter censoring it)

3) Does not optionally create .torrent and .magnet associations upon installation.

4) "Open URL" button is just the text "Open URL" and not an icon. Looks very inconsistent. (Also, we need Windows-appropriate themed buttons)

5) Desktop icon is different from taskbar icon. Please just use the icon from the taskbar for the desktop icon as well to preserve consistency.

6) Dragging and dropping a torrent file into the client gives you a message saying "Error adding torrent. Invalid or corrupt torrent file".

7) Clicking "open folder" on a torrent whose *ONLY* file (not in a folder, just the file itself) ends with a .avi extension does not go to the folder containing the file, but actually opens up the Windows ThisPC/Documents folder.
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

Calidude wrote:1) Search field is too long. It extends infinitely when the window is resized instead of staying consistent with the dropdown lists next to it.
That's not an issue, but something you personally dislike. There is no "preferred" width for this field, unlike with combo boxes which adjust to largest item size. I could make it grow up until it reaches specific width (say, 200px), and then stick to the right side (as it does in OS X client).
Calidude wrote:2) Most tracker favicons are not being displayed while other clients like qBittorrent display them just fine. udp://tracker.example.com:80/announce is an example of a URL whose favicon DOES NOT get displayed. udp://tracker.coppersurfer.tk:6969/announce is an example of one URL whose favicon DOES get displayed. (Edit: "example" in example.com should read "openbittorrent" but there's a weird filter censoring it)
Not Windows-specific, file a bug and we'll look into it.
Calidude wrote:3) Does not optionally create .torrent and .magnet associations upon installation.
Transmission registers itself as an application supporting torrents and magnet links. The fact that it doesn't forcibly associate itself as default handler for torrents and magnet links is by design and will not change. Please refer to Default Programs (Windows) article, specifically "Best Practices for Using Default Programs" section as to how it should function. If something's not like it's described there, I'll be glad to fix it (e.g. the fact that on pre-Windows 8 systems program should suggest user to associate itself with supported file types and protocols on first run).
Calidude wrote:4) "Open URL" button is just the text "Open URL" and not an icon. Looks very inconsistent. (Also, we need Windows-appropriate themed buttons)
Not Windows-specific, file a bug and we'll look into it.
Calidude wrote:5) Desktop icon is different from taskbar icon. Please just use the icon from the taskbar for the desktop icon as well to preserve consistency.
Another case of unclean build environment I'm using, will be fixed with proper builds infrastructure.
Calidude wrote:6) Dragging and dropping a torrent file into the client gives you a message saying "Error adding torrent. Invalid or corrupt torrent file".
Looks like indeed specific to Windows build (but maybe not to Windows platform; wasn't able to reproduce on OS X and GNU/Linux), will take a look later today.
Calidude wrote:7) Clicking "open folder" on a torrent whose *ONLY* file (not in a folder, just the file itself) ends with a .avi extension does not go to the folder containing the file, but actually opens up the Windows ThisPC/Documents folder.
This may be Windows-specific, IIRC there's platform-specific code in Qt client for this, file a bug and we'll look into it.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

mike.dld wrote:I could make it grow up until it reaches specific width (say, 200px), and then stick to the right side (as it does in OS X client).
That would be ideal. Makes the most sense and keeps Transmission consistent across platforms.
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

mike.dld wrote:
Calidude wrote:6) Dragging and dropping a torrent file into the client gives you a message saying "Error adding torrent. Invalid or corrupt torrent file".
Looks like indeed specific to Windows build (but maybe not to Windows platform; wasn't able to reproduce on OS X and GNU/Linux), will take a look later today.
Fixed in r14719.
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

Calidude wrote:
mike.dld wrote:I could make it grow up until it reaches specific width (say, 200px), and then stick to the right side (as it does in OS X client).
That would be ideal. Makes the most sense and keeps Transmission consistent across platforms.
Fixed in r14720.
potska

Post by potska »

Sometimes while downloading this causes crash, could it be that file count is huge? http://sonniss.com/GameAudioGDCPart2.torrent please test download this if you have time. I have Win8.1 x64 and drive is using NTFS
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

potska wrote:Sometimes while downloading this causes crash, could it be that file count is huge? http://sonniss.com/GameAudioGDCPart2.torrent please test download this if you have time. I have Win8.1 x64 and drive is using NTFS
This is the same as issue as mentioned by kIssGlaY. Caused by invalid path components like "SoundBits - Just Gore | Add On" ("|" is not allowed in file and directory names on Windows). I've fixed the crash in r14717 so that torrent will stop downloading now and then instead of crashing the client.

For torrent not to stop in such cases invalid names should be (automatically?) changed when torrent is being added. There's a registered Trac ticket for that, can't provide a link as Trac is currently down.