Any updated news about an official windows build?

Feature requests for the Windows version of Transmission
hereforthecakes

Any updated news about an official windows build?

Post by hereforthecakes »

Is there any news on if/when an official windows version might be coming out? I used Transmission on Linux for a while and loved it. Currently use the unofficial build on windows and was just curious about an official build. I asked some years ago and was just curious if anythings changed from the dev team?
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Re: Any updated news about an official windows build?

Post by mike.dld »

Beta will be available with 2.90. You could already build from source (using trunk) right now.
hereforthecakes

Post by hereforthecakes »

mike.dld wrote:Beta will be available with 2.90. You could already build from source (using trunk) right now.
That's awesome news! No idea how to build from source so will just wait until the beta is available. Will the beta get posted on transmissionbt.com?
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

That's the plan, yes.
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

Not exactly. Support for XP and 2003 was dropped, plus I'd recommend configuring with CMake and building with MSVS or MinGW (I'm not at all testing Cygwin). I'll try to update those pages when the time comes, you're welcome to help out as well.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

This is amazing news! I've always wanted Transmission to get an official Windows port. Will we get support for labels, much like in the Mac port?
uberfu

Post by uberfu »

at MIKE.DLD -- What's the roadmap / timeframe for the 2.9 release ? The actual roadmap link off the main website has no information and the client has not been updated in almost a year and a half. I noticed you migrated some of the outstanding bug tickets to your control. Are you the only one developing this project now ? The 2.84 release is showing it's age and the privacy / anonymity function in the current release is starting to be outdated by codinging standards. Is it time to jump ship and migrate to a new client or is this project still being actively developed ?
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

@Calidude Same time corresponding tickets will be resolved, not in 2.90 for sure. See #2175 and #5385.

@uberfu Whether to change the client is your own decision. The way I see it the project is very much alive, but hitting a bit of hard time at the moment. As for the release timeframe, I'm hoping (that's as much as you get from me) for 2.90 to be out this year.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

mike.dld wrote:@Calidude Same time corresponding tickets will be resolved, not in 2.90 for sure. See #2175 and #5385.

@uberfu Whether to change the client is your own decision. The way I see it the project is very much alive, but hitting a bit of hard time at the moment. As for the release timeframe, I'm hoping (that's as much as you get from me) for 2.90 to be out this year.
Hard time? What can users do to help?

I also hope we get 2.90 before the end of the year, so please let people know what they can do to make it easier.
Criton

Post by Criton »

Any news?
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

Criton wrote:Any news?
All we know so far is that it will not have much to do with Transmission Qt by Rene Berber according to him.

https://sourceforge.net/p/trqtw/discuss ... /098bb683/

However, I do hope both projects are unified into one project so there is no confusion or inconsistency for the sake of the users.

Transmission having a Windows build will mean that interest (and very possibly development) will be much higher than ever before, so even non-Windows users should be excited.
rianna

Post by rianna »

Any release date?
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

2.90 is out. Where's the Windows beta?
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

You could build it yourself :)

It wasn't published because there's a delay in getting code signing certificate. As soon as we get it the build will be there on transmissionbt.com. Unfortunately there's no ETA on this.

Releasing non-signed package is an option as well, but I'd rather not, or at least not on transmissionbt.com.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

mike.dld wrote:It wasn't published because there's a delay in getting code signing certificate. As soon as we get it the build will be there on transmissionbt.com. Unfortunately there's no ETA on this.
Is it due to lack of funding for payment or something like that?

Is it going to be a beta or a stable build?

Will you put up a Windows subforum on this board as soon as it's up?