What happened to Transmission development on Windows?

Feature requests for the Windows version of Transmission
Calidude

What happened to Transmission development on Windows?

Post by Calidude »

Ever since the 2.92 release, there have been no builds popping up on https://build.transmissionbt.com/

There's a Windows build in the downloads directory (not the official download page) on the official site, but it's buggy and it's giving people a bad impression of Transmission for Windows, despite it not being an official release, because people keep pointing others to it.

Is Transmission development for Windows on hold? When are we going to get a beta-testing phase so the Windows port can finally be made as stable as the Linux and Mac ports?
potska

Re: What happened to Transmission development on Windows?

Post by potska »

i am no developer but my assumption it is summertime, this is just a assumption nothing more.
chipinnc

Post by chipinnc »

It's been almost a year since there was a windows build.

What is going on?
MoveData

Post by MoveData »

Transmission-Qt has now officially disappeared... I hope we can see the excellent Transmission on Windows again, soon. I honestly can't think of a better client.
LeVvE

Post by LeVvE »

MoveData wrote:Transmission-Qt has now officially disappeared... I hope we can see the excellent Transmission on Windows again, soon. I honestly can't think of a better client.
I noticed this as well, I can't find any info anywhere why it was removed or anyone talking about it. The official Transmission hasn't been update in almost a year and seems dead so I used Transmission-Qt as it had less bugs.
LeVvE

Post by LeVvE »

x190 wrote:
The official Transmission hasn't been update in almost a year and seems dead
Hardly!

https://github.com/transmission/transmission/issues
I looked here https://build.transmissionbt.com/ so 1 day since linux/mac got a new build and 9 months for windows.

I'd consider that kinda dead.
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

Nothing happened. If you're desperate to stay on bleeding edge, and don't want to build it yourself, there is (not really advertised) http://trtc.mikedld.com/ (login as guest and check out artifacts for "master" builds). There weren't much specifically Windows-related changes from 2.92 though, but I keep in mind what's suggested in other threads. You're always welcome to take part in development (or ask other people to) if you really want something to happen ;)
john21wall

Post by john21wall »

What about transmission qt? I’ve been using that for quite a while on Window
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

john21wall wrote:What about transmission qt? I’ve been using that for quite a while on Window
What about it? You'd have to be more specific...
MoveData

Post by MoveData »

john21wall wrote:What about transmission qt? I’ve been using that for quite a while on Window
Unless I'm mistaken, its author closed the project and it won't be updated ever again. It works just fine right now (I've never ran into a single issue with it), but you'd be running an abandoned client. Some would say "if it works, not a problem" others would feel uncomfortable running a program that won't be updated again.
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

If you want an explanation for trqtw project closure, I'm not the one to give it. Hopefully, rb07 would come by and give one (it was announced for quite some time before that though that the project will cease to exist sometime soon). Otherwise, the artifacts archive I mentioned earlier contains MSI installer with Qt client in it; it's not the same client Rene was publishing, so it will lack some fixes and additional features he added over the years.
skypuppy

Post by skypuppy »

I'm trying to learn Qt and this might be a good way for me to do so. Where can I get that latest source to tinker with?
I'm brand new to torrent and to transmission but would like to setup a server on Win7 or on a Linux box.
laikexpert

Post by laikexpert »

I use Transmission on Windows 10
and there really is no better than it.

However, to be honest:
- On Windows 10 Transmission looks very old-fashioned.
- Many options are not available to users.

More info:
Transmission 3.00+ (Interface + Options) Redesign
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20666
Tanker_54/55

Post by Tanker_54/55 »

I've got the same opinion as Laikexpert, I'm glad I'm not the only one: it's great, but it looks and feels old fashioned. Sure, it's better than the competition, but that doesn't mean that progress should stop there...
laikexpert

Post by laikexpert »

Tanker_54/55 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:43 pm I've got the same opinion as Laikexpert, I'm glad I'm not the only one: it's great, but it looks and feels old fashioned. Sure, it's better than the competition, but that doesn't mean that progress should stop there...
- On Windows 10 / 11 Transmission looks very old-fashioned.
- Many options are not available to users.