RESOLVED: torrents not showing in list unless I restart Transmission

Ask for help and report issues with the Windows version of Transmission
Unknowable

RESOLVED: torrents not showing in list unless I restart Transmission

Post by Unknowable »

RESOLVED! Read if you like, but it looks like Transmission was just waiting for windows to be completely updated after a fresh windows install. Seems to be working fine now, but I'll update if things aren't in the future. Thanks anyway! :D

Windows 10 x64
Transmission version 3.0.0 (bb6b5a062e)

I've been using Transmission for a while in different OS's, but just got this one installed and it's not acting properly. I usually just use magnet links to add a torrent, although I tested it out by downloading a torrent file and adding it to Transmission manually and got the same result.

When I add a magnet link or a .torrent file to Transmission, it does show the normal "Open Torrent from URL or Magnet Link" window, and it does allow me to add it just like it should. However, after I add the torrent, it doesn't show in the list of files currently downloading at all. At first I just added it again, getting the error about duplicate torrents. I then closed and reopened Transmission and the torrent I just added is now shown in the list.

I did find this reddit post from a Mac user with the same issue. He advises to edit ~/Library/Application Support/Transmission/transfers.plist. and just remove the XML relating to the missing torrent, then restart Transmission. Although I did check my system for something related to that (and couldn't find it,) if I need to restart Transmission, there's no need to edit the list of transfers. It's there when I reopen Transmission.

I did check on the daily builds to try for a newer version, but couldn't figure out what to do. I also went over to Transmission's GitHub page and went to release/windows but all that was listed were a bunch of .ps1 files that I had no idea what to do with. Not much point in trying to build the latest release when I have no idea how to compile something, let alone what files to compile. I tried clicking on Go To File and read the README.md, and that tells me all about how to compile Transmission from what I can only assume is a Linux command line.

I think I've gone as far as I can to figure out this issue, and would really love your help. If a daily build is the way to go, no problem, but I need step by step instructions IN WINDOWS on how to do that if you don't mind. I do appreciate your time and effort in resolving my issue. Thank you.
Last edited by Unknowable on Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Unknowable

Re: torrents not showing in list unless I restart Transmission

Post by Unknowable »

I should add that I'm still doing windows updates, so while it seems to be a stretch to me, it is possible that the issue will be resolved when I get done updating. Possible, but doesn’t seem likely.

Currently posting from phone while windows update is rebooting.
Unknowable

Re: torrents not showing in list unless I restart Transmission

Post by Unknowable »

Huh. Well that's odd. It took many hours of downloading and restarting, but I finally got Windows completely updated and now Transmission seems to be working properly. I just added 4 magnet links and they all showed up immediately. Weird that it seems to be a windoze issue, but it is fixed now. Please disregard. :D
pcsanza

Re: reopened: torrents not showing in list unless I restart Transmission

Post by pcsanza »

Interesting. I am not so lucky. I have also had exactly the same issue. I have used Transmission successfully under Ubuntu for years. New Windows laptop with clean installation of Windows 10 pro fully updated and Transmission is behaving exactly as described. In fact, I will go one step further to say that the GUI never updates the download status of any download. It draws the status once as soon as Transmission starts but does not update screen. However, I can confirm that downloads are continuing in the background because files appear in the download area. Ideas?

I am not a Windows expert but it is hard for me to consider that this is a Windows update issue. Maybe a bug in the Qt implementation - I could believe that - but a clean fresh Windows install seems like the most benign environment to test on.... I might just have to pull the trigger on Windows 11 upgrade so that I can run the new WSL with Gui support and just run the Ubuntu Transmission from there. Sigh.

UPDATE: I uninstalled the 64-bit version and installed the 32-bit version instead. Seems to be working properly now. Definitely a bug somewhere.

I have initiated a bug report. If you are reading this and you are experiencing this bug, please head over to GitHub and leave a comment that says you are experiencing the same bug. The way GitHub works, the bug won't be worked on until it is confirmed by others.
https://github.com/transmission/transmi ... 1144104173