Backing Transmission up on Windows

Ask for help and report issues with the Windows version of Transmission
Raiken3712

Backing Transmission up on Windows

Post by Raiken3712 »

I'm using the unofficial Transmission for Windows build.

http://trqtw.sourceforge.net/blog/

It works great. I want to keep all my data for it but I'm not sure how to backup the information. I'm going to be moving to a new hard drive because my current one is too small and can't put in another. Really need a computer upgrade :P but for now just the hard drive would be an improvement.

I'm guessing there isn't a Mozbackup style program for this for Windows since there isn't an official version...but I'm guessing I can do it manually if I copy certain files or something. I'm just trying to retain my information on the torrents I've downloaded. I already backed up the torrents themselves and will be putting them in a folder with the same name once I reinstall windows. Would copying the folder in Program Files work or are there files with this information in Users?
blacke4dawn

Re: Backing Transmission up on Windows

Post by blacke4dawn »

Not sure but I believe it creates a folder under "c:\users\<user>\Application Data" or possibly "c:\users\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data" for all of it's settings and statistics data. If not then just keep looking around under "c:\users\<user>" and you'll find it eventually.
Raiken3712

Post by Raiken3712 »

blacke4dawn wrote:Not sure but I believe it creates a folder under "c:\users\<user>\Application Data" or possibly "c:\users\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data" for all of it's settings and statistics data. If not then just keep looking around under "c:\users\<user>" and you'll find it eventually.
I found a Torrents, Resume, settings.json, and stats.json in Roaming AppData...I think this is it hope it is as I'm going to assume it is and format.

I figured it would be in AppData\Local though....do some programs use roaming instead. I'm not all that experienced with Local, LocalLow, Roaming...and I'm not sure when programs use what and why.

It looks like the information I'm trying to keep though.

Thanks for the help hope this works.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

The location varies depending on the version of Windows.

Since you already found the files, you're in the right track. Just copy the whole transmission directory (the one under Roaming in Windows 7). The other transmission directory, under Local, has the local cache... which is only the icons from the trackers you have used.

Watch out for Windows' concept of ownership. The user name is not important, the SID is. That means that Windows will try to keep the original ownership, even if the SID does not exist in the new computer. If you see problems because the application can't save configuration files, the solution is to "take ownership", which is a function somewhere in the advanced options of the directory (in this case, but could also be file) security properties.
Raiken3712

Post by Raiken3712 »

I found the files and copied but all of the torrents are red and say No Data found! Ensure your drives are connected or use Set Location...I have the files in the same video folder I had before. Only one thing is different the user folder is a different name....but the resume files list in them the new folder so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Confused.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Raiken3712 wrote:I have the files in the same video folder I had before
Check again. If they where in the same path you wouldn't see the error.

Have you tried setting the actual location with the application?
Raiken3712 wrote:Only one thing is different the user folder is a different name
Is this relevant? i.e. are the downloaded files under the user folder?
Raiken3712 wrote:the resume files list in them the new folder
Are you looking inside the resume files? Are you modifying (outside Transmission) resume files?

What about the information shown by the application? i.e. a torrent's properties show its location on the first tab, and if the files are there "Open Folder" will open Explorer with the file, or directory, selected.
Raiken3712

Post by Raiken3712 »

rb07 wrote:
Raiken3712 wrote:I have the files in the same video folder I had before
Check again. If they where in the same path you wouldn't see the error.

Have you tried setting the actual location with the application?
Raiken3712 wrote:Only one thing is different the user folder is a different name
Is this relevant? i.e. are the downloaded files under the user folder?
Raiken3712 wrote:the resume files list in them the new folder
Are you looking inside the resume files? Are you modifying (outside Transmission) resume files?

What about the information shown by the application? i.e. a torrent's properties show its location on the first tab, and if the files are there "Open Folder" will open Explorer with the file, or directory, selected.
When I right click properties it has the original location still there. I'm guessing thats the problem. I thought this information came from the Resume list...thats where my confusion was. When I went to the resume files in C:\\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\transmission and looked in the resume files they all said the new user folder. At some point I reloaded the backup and its now back to the old folder.

Even when I change the file in roaming and the properties in the program shows the file in the right location it isn't working. The properties list the right place now. I tried to verify local data and it doesn't do anything even though the properties say the file is in the spot where it is. It still won't open the folder....must be part of why its not working.

Ok....well I got it to open the folder ...but still says no data found...confused.

After I verify data which it seems to take awhile to do...like it won't say its doing it when I click verify data for awhile...confusing....it shows up, but its grayed out. Before all the done files were in green and said finished now they are grey and say finished. Not a big deal but wondering why its different. Maybe the version change? I think I might have changed versions.

Also...somehow like I said all the resume files were actually set to the new folder...the correct one...but after reloading the backup they all say the old folder name.

Is there a quick way for me to set all the folders to the new area without manually changing each resume file or clicking set location as the new directory? I'm confused how they were all correct before...I didn't do anything to fix it....I'm sure it was correct last time I looked though.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Raiken3712 wrote:I thought this information came from the Resume list
What "Resume list"? I don't understand.

Do not touch the resume files, or anything in the configuration folder. Use the application for any changes.
Raiken3712 wrote:reloaded the backup and its now back to the old folder
Again, I don't understand. What's the context? What is "backup"? configuration, or downloaded files, or both?
Raiken3712 wrote:when I change the file in roaming
If you change anything in the configuration files, you are on your own. You probably are "changing" those files with an editor, and making the files invalid, the application will not work with that.

If you expected that by setting the download location everything would just work, you are wrong. You copied the configuration, which has a location for each torrent, you'll have to change those locations either one-by-one, or as a group (by selecting multiple torrents).

Furthermore existing files have to be readable, and directories writable, which could be a problem I already described above (i.e. "Watch out for Windows' concept of ownership"), and "backups", in the usual sense, do keep the original ownership/permissions.

Look in the application's log (View -> Message Log) to see if there are any errors reported.
Raiken3712

Post by Raiken3712 »

rb07 wrote:
Raiken3712 wrote:I thought this information came from the Resume list
What "Resume list"? I don't understand.

Do not touch the resume files, or anything in the configuration folder. Use the application for any changes.
Raiken3712 wrote:reloaded the backup and its now back to the old folder
Again, I don't understand. What's the context? What is "backup"? configuration, or downloaded files, or both?
Raiken3712 wrote:when I change the file in roaming
If you change anything in the configuration files, you are on your own. You probably are "changing" those files with an editor, and making the files invalid, the application will not work with that.

If you expected that by setting the download location everything would just work, you are wrong. You copied the configuration, which has a location for each torrent, you'll have to change those locations either one-by-one, or as a group (by selecting multiple torrents).

Furthermore existing files have to be readable, and directories writable, which could be a problem I already described above (i.e. "Watch out for Windows' concept of ownership"), and "backups", in the usual sense, do keep the original ownership/permissions.

Look in the application's log (View -> Message Log) to see if there are any errors reported.
Resume list means resume config files in the roaming directory. It didn't seem to make them invalid, but I will change the rest of them from the program now that I understand how. I guess I'll just change the locations one by one. I was hoping I could do it batch style..I'm sure there is probably a program to do this or some easier method....but its not that big of a deal. Since most of the stuff I downloaded is in groups.

By backup I meant the files from C:\\Users\oldUser\AppData\Roaming\transmission were copied to the same location with the new user name.

I think I've figured out all I need to. Thanks for the help.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Raiken3712 wrote:I guess I'll just change the locations one by one. I was hoping I could do it batch style
If they have different locations, that's the way to do it.

If they have the same location, then just select all (Ctrl-A with the All/All filter view). Or if you have locations by tracker, just set the filter and select all...

You still have to run "Verify Local Data" after changing the location. Again you can select all, use the verify option, and the verification will be done one-by-one (the torrent status will change to "Queued for verification").
Raiken3712

Post by Raiken3712 »

Thanks again I think everythings good now. :)