how to delete .torrent files

Ask for help and report issues with the Windows version of Transmission
weybrew

how to delete .torrent files

Post by weybrew »

I am a senior, non-techie, novice torrent user. I see no reason to keep the .torrent file once I have the target file downloaded, so I selected Preferences >Torrents > move .torrent files to the trash and also Preferences > Desktop > use Recycle Bin when deleting files. I just recently discovered that Transmission was keeping a copy of the .torrent file in AppData... How should I set my Preferences to simply delete used .torrent files?

Windows 7, 32
Transmission-QT Win v2.74
rb07

Re: how to delete .torrent files

Post by rb07 »

weybrew wrote:I just recently discovered that Transmission was keeping a copy of the .torrent file in AppData
Don't touch those, Transmission-Qt will delete them when you delete the torrent from the application, but until then, that file and the corresponding "resume" file are used by the application.

Maybe there is one case where you have to clean the configuration directory, if the application crashes, or is terminated in an unusual way, maybe some of the files are left... I haven't seen that to be the case.

In general: don't touch anything in the configuration directory, those files are not meant to be manipulated by the user... even if many posts recommend doing changes to settings, try not to. The only exception is adding more than one blocklist.
weybrew

Post by weybrew »

Thanks for the reply, rb07... My reason for wanting to delete the .torrent file is that I have tried on occasion to download a target movie a second time but when I download the torrent file Transmission gives me a warning of "Duplicate Torrent...." and won't let me proceed. If I shouldn't tamper with these AppData files, what do the Preferences options do for me. Am I incorrect in assuming that the torrent file and the target movie file are not the same thing?

Clarify please... what is the configuration directory you mention?
When you say "delete the torrent from the application" what exactly do you mean?

Thanks for your help.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

weybrew wrote:what do the Preferences options do for me
The preferences as you described them are correct. Only the first is relevant to the case you describe, the 2nd (Desktop -> Use Recycle Bin... refers to the downloaded files, not the .torrent file).

There are always 2 .torrent files, the first one is the one downloaded say by the browser, which is then given to Tr-Qt as parameter. That is the file Tr-Qt will delete if the setting Downloading -> Move the .torrent file to the trash is enabled. The second is a copy, renamed with a hash code inserted in the name, and put in the configuration directory, Torrents sub-directory; that file is used in case you stop the application. Along with the resume file it allows the application to recreate the torrent list, and the state they where at.
weybrew wrote:what is the configuration directory you mention?
The exact directory you are making reference to. It varies with Windows version, for Windows 7 it is something like C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\transmission\
weybrew wrote:When you say "delete the torrent from the application" what exactly do you mean?
I mean using the "Remove torrent" button, or Torrent -> Remove from the menu, or same in context menu, or Del key. Both Remove and "Delete files & Remove" operations.

You can observe what happens easily, with the application open, select a torrent. Open a file browser (a.k.a. Windows explorer) on the configuration's Torrents directory. Delete the selected torrent ... and the corresponding torrent file disappears (also the resume file).
weybrew wrote:Am I incorrect in assuming that the torrent file and the target movie file are not the same thing?
Yes.

If you are getting a "duplicate torrent" error, that means the .torrent file is describing the exact same torrent as one you have listed on the application. The full names of the .torrent files could be different, but the contents are the same.

The target file(s) can be duplicated, no problem, no error message. The only difference is that the second "torrent" will verify the already downloaded torrent, and start seeding(*) if it is the same (and they download to the same location).

(*) Note: the torrents could be different, but contain some of the same files, in that case it starts seeding the complete files, and downloading the ones that are different (which could create another, different problem, the case of the different pieces torrent).