Automatic Updates

Ask for help and report issues with the Windows version of Transmission
Munky78

Automatic Updates

Post by Munky78 »

Hello, I'm using Transmission on my windows 8 machine and it keeps updating itself to v. 2.82, and I wish to stay at 2.77. Is there any way to keep it from updating?
blacke4dawn

Re: Automatic Updates

Post by blacke4dawn »

Transmission for Windows is an unofficial port and any issues should be directed to http://sourceforge.net/projects/trqtw/

Just a suggestion, have you looked around the settings for an auto-update option?
Munky78

Post by Munky78 »

There is no option I can find. Even made the folder and contents read only.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

As I replied to you earlier, my installer (at Sourceforge) does not auto-update.

Start by looking closely at what you have installed. Complain to the person who made it, or be proactive, and uninstall it.

One thing that can help is that both my installers, and the programs installed are signed (with my name on them, not rb07, but RB are my initials). If what you have is not signed by me, then you can be sure that it came from somewhere else.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Munky78:
Perhaps you are confusing update with a non working uninstaller.

Let's start from the beginning, versions 2.77 and 2.82 (of the Transmission-Qt for Windows app) use very different, and independent, installers (and use different directories, the old one "Program Files"/Transmission-Qt, the newer just Transmission).

When the 2.8x versions started I wrote on the READ-ME (only shown on SourceForge download page) the following:
ATTENTION: A new installer is used, it is recommended to uninstall older versions first
(to clean the installed programs list).
To make things worse version 2.82 has a defective uninstaller, one that will not do its work.

Perhaps you are confusing an uninstaller that doesn't work, with what you think is "automatic upgrade": version 2.82 has not been deleted from your computer, it never will with the defective uninstaller.

On the other hand, version 2.77 does install, but independently of the other version, you end up with both.

So if it was my fault, by not providing a working uninstaller, then you should delete (before using Windows' to uninstall) version 2.82, then use Windows to get rid of the entry on the list of installed software, and finally install the old version. Or just install 2.81, and use its working uninstaller to get rid of it... or wait for 2.83, which will probably be out soon, and do the same.
Munky78

Post by Munky78 »

Whenever I uninstall I use Review Uninstaller to wipe all traces of whatever program it may be. I just uninstalled and went and checked the directories as I am on 64bit windows and it removed from the x86 install directory but there was still a folder in the the 64bit install directory which I manually deleted...hopefully that solves the issue.