Resuming Incomplete torrents on a different PC

Ask for help and report issues with the Windows version of Transmission
SalmanQamar

Resuming Incomplete torrents on a different PC

Post by SalmanQamar »

I have some incomplete torrents as shown in image.
I have to reinstall windows.(Infact i am upgrading from Windows7 to Windows8.1)
Is there any way so that i can resume these torrents on fresh install. Because torrent is slow and i cant w8 for them to complete.
transmission-torrent.png
transmission-torrent.png (81.21 KiB) Viewed 6084 times
rb07

Re: Resuming Incomplete torrents on a different PC

Post by rb07 »

Only if you have a backup of the config directory.

BTW Windows 8.1 doesn't play nice with Transmission-Qt for Windows. Plus there is no support for any Windows version here, each Windows distribution has its own support.
SalmanQamar

Post by SalmanQamar »

How i can take the backup of config directory?
and how to restore it?
blacke4dawn

Post by blacke4dawn »

Depends on what you mean by "resume".

If you just want to not start from scratch then the only thing you need to do is to point to the same place the already downloaded parts are in when adding it to Transmission, it should pick up the existing data and continue from there. This doesn't preserve any statistics (like upload/download amount, ratio, added on and such), what torrents are actually loaded or other settings, you'll need to find the original torrent files (or magnet links) to be able to add them again.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

SalmanQamar wrote:How i can take the backup of config directory?
and how to restore it?
Copy and restore with new ownership the config directory, which in Windows 7, since you are using my Transmission-Qt (from SourceForge) is:

Code: Select all

/Users/<user name>/AppData/Roaming/transmission/
The difference from doing that and what blacke4dawn describes, is that you don't need to get the original torrent files, or magnets, and you may not need to change locations if your downloads are in the "same place"... I didn't say that you also need to backup/restore the downloads in the same way, because that part is obvious (and implied by you wanting to use the .part files), but if you change the location then you have to tell Transmission (is not enough to change it in Preferences, the configuration files restored have all the settings for each individual torrent -- location, speed limits, ratio limit, etc.).