Compile debug version of Transmission-Qt for Windows?

Ask for help and report issues with the Windows version of Transmission
saperski

Compile debug version of Transmission-Qt for Windows?

Post by saperski »

Hello, I've had some issues with Transmission 2.83 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/trqtw/

- sometimes when some popup opens up (Open... or similar) my AeDebug debugger (ntdb.exe) is popping up which indicates some crash (I suspect this is somewhere in the Qt code)

- after some time of seeding/downloading (15 minuts to 1 hour) all torrents seem to stop (transmission is 0KiB/s for all of them) and the CPU usage goes high (I can hear the laptop fan spinning fast and loud). When I quit the program and start again the transmission continues.

I have just upgraded to 2.84 so I'd like to give a new version a try.

I would like to have debug symbols to figure out what's going on in case my problems resurface. I am pretty comfortable with using Windows debuggers and gdb to poke around that.

I have found information on building Transmission-Qt on Windows:
Are those old patches for versions <2.52 still relevant here?
  • Latest patches are in this project: Patches.
This list above is currently empty.

My questions:

Is currently only the vanilla source from [url]svn://svn.transmissionbt.com/Transmission/trunk[/url] used - as suggested by the blog entry on using MinGW?

If there are some local patches, would be possible to put a canonical source somewhere (a branch in the official SVN or GitHub, maybe?), so that I could reproduce the problem on my build and produce a meaningful bug report?
rb07

Re: Compile debug version of Transmission-Qt for Windows?

Post by rb07 »

That version is not released or supported by the Transmission developers (and this forum). That version has its own support forum (the link is in the Start Menu Transmission item).

The patches on Transmission's Wiki are for old versions (as stated in the text), so no, they are not relevant. The list on SF is not empty, just the view of open tickets, use the list of closed tickets... but there is no released patch for the current version.

The vanilla source may or may not work (probably not since there are many changes that are very specific to Qt 5, and C++11 which I'm not sure its the default while building Qt 5). The released TrQt for Win does not use Qt 5 (because its sucks: the result is bigger, slower, uglier, and had a nasty crash last time I tested -- and never really worked until Qt 5.3.1); besides Qt 5.3.1 no longer builds with MinGW, you need MinGW-w64.

I can make a debug build available on SF, just let me know which version (i.e. 32- or 64-bit), and it will be for testing only (Transmission version 2.84+ which reports it is experimental to the trackers, so it cannot be used with private trackers). Oh BTW its about 10 times as big as the non-debug release.

Since I (the developer that releases TrQt for Win) have never seen anything like you describe, I doubt the problem is in the application. It sounds like a typical problem with a virus scanner, or Web security.