Latest version of Windows Installer required to install

Ask for help and report issues with the Windows version of Transmission
Bipolar Tripod

Latest version of Windows Installer required to install

Post by Bipolar Tripod »

I downloaded the x86 version of Transmission but couldn't install it. I get an error message telling me that I need a more recent version of Windows Installer. I have Windows Installer 4.5, which is the latest version available for my system (Vista). Subsequent versions of Windows use Windows Installer 5.0 according to Wikipedia. Any chance that future Windows versions of Transmission will also be compatible with older systems like mine?
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Re: Latest version of Windows Installer required to install

Post by mike.dld »

Sorry for a late reply. According to Wikipedia article on Windows Vista,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista wrote:Mainstream support ended on 10 April 2012
Extended support until 11 April 2017
I don't think supporting a system that even Microsoft will stop supporting in less than 2 months is the way to go.

The requirement for Windows Installer 5.0 might be connected to the fact that our WiX configuration files make use of ServiceConfig from UtilExtension, or may as well be something else. If you'd like to build an MSI package which supports Windows Installer 4.5, removing a ServiceConfig tag from Daemon.wxs might be a good start.
samobsnow

Post by samobsnow »

I have the similar problem, and my OS is Win 8.1
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

@samobsnow, you don't have a problem as Microsoft Installer 5.0 is available for (and seems to be included by default in) "Windows Server 2008 R2 and later and Windows 7 and later", or at least you don't have this specific problem. Hence it might be better if you start a separate thread and describe what's happening.