Transmission process sometimes keeps running after exit

Ask for help and report issues with the Windows version of Transmission
culinko

Transmission process sometimes keeps running after exit

Post by culinko »

Sometimes after I exit Transmission, the GUI closes, but the transmission-qt.exe process still remains in the windows processes and torrents even keep being downloaded/seeded if there are any active. This only happens sometimes and most of the time the program closes properly. I am closing it by clicking the X at the top right corner. I am not aware if the same bug happens also when clicking on File/Quit from the menu bar. I'll try to start closing it from the menu bar to see if the bug occurs this way as well. (Btw. I don't have the tray icon enabled because Transmission will only get minimized and not closed if you click the X at the top right window.)

I'm wondering, is there any way to debug this issue and find out why it's happening? Thanks a lot for any feedback, much appreciated.
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Re: Transmission process sometimes keeps running after exit

Post by mike.dld »

It's a UI issue. GTK+ client handles this more user-friendly, so that when you select the menu item or close the window the messages "Closing connections" & "Sending upload/download totals to tracker..." appear with Quit button to force the termination w/o the wait. Qt client does exactly the same (i.e. tries to notify all trackers of its shutdown) but doesn't tell the user what's happening. It's expected that the process will terminate eventually on its own. Feel free to create an issue on GitHub, or (even better) a pull request.
culinko

Post by culinko »

mike.dld wrote:Qt client does exactly the same (i.e. tries to notify all trackers of its shutdown) but doesn't tell the user what's happening. It's expected that the process will terminate eventually on its own.
I was waiting up to 20 minutes after I closed it, so yeah, definitely not the expected behavior.
mike.dld wrote:Feel free to create an issue on GitHub, or (even better) a pull request.
Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer, so can't do a pull request, but created an issue here: https://github.com/transmission/transmission/issues/287
vn23427

Post by vn23427 »

This is still happening, Win10, version 3...

Has this been reported as a bug yet?
machv5

Post by machv5 »

I have noticed the same thing happening too. I also thought that it was happening randomly, but it isn't random.

Conditions where the program does shut down properly
  • If there are no torrents at all in the list
  • Torrents in the list are paused and the program hasn't been idle for a long time in the background
Conditions where the program doesn't shut down properly
  • There are inactive torrents in the list, but the program has been active and or idle for a long period of time
  • There are active torrents either downloading or seeding
  • There are other reasons that cause improper shutdown, but I don't know what the triggers are, however, I have experienced them
When the program doesn't shut down properly and still has a process active and you add a new torrent from a browser link the window to add still opens but the main GUI doesn't show on the desktop. Opening the program manually will start a new GUI but any of the torrents you added won't be visible in it. However, newly added torrents will still download as normal. Until you either restart or log out of your OS or use task manager to exit task all running instances of the program you won't be able to see any of the newly added torrents in the GUI. When the program doesn't shut down properly but all the torrents in the list were paused the program doesn't use any network at all. Also, sometimes the program will eventually shut down the still running process sometimes it doesn't, and it will just run seemingly forever. Personally, I have just become accustomed to always using task manager to exit the task rather than close the program normally and then hope it shut down properly or scroll through the background processes list to see if it is still active. It's just easier and faster to use task manager to close it. To not do so and then mess around later when it doesn't close properly is more annoying.
Dawn_Flee_23

Post by Dawn_Flee_23 »

I have a similar problem on Windows 11 and I'm worried about the possible risks I run if I turn off my VPN after closing Transmission but the program keeps running in the background. Is my IP vulnerable?