Possibe bug? or is it just me?

Ask for help and report issues with the Windows version of Transmission
BogusByte

Possibe bug? or is it just me?

Post by BogusByte »

Tried to report on github.... but got shot down even before i could press enter... and got a rather short and somwhat snippy "Please use forums for support." when trying to report possible bug??? :?

Installed transmission-2.94+-ra440981571-x64.msi on Win10 1809, Selecting all options to installl, main+daemon+cli+web....

And edited the settings.json file in %LOCALAPPDATA%/transmission-daemon and NOTHING worked....

Tried running "transmission-daemon.exe -f" in a cli(still on windows)...

Code: Select all

[2019-03-20 10:50:42.896] Using settings from "C:\Users\******\AppData\Local/transmission-daemon" (C:\Transmission\Jenkins\workspace\trunk-win32\arch\x64\label\pepito-win10\daemon\daemon.c:646)
[2019-03-20 10:50:42.896] Saved "C:\Users\\******\AppData\Local/transmission-daemon/settings.json" (C:\Transmission\Jenkins\workspace\trunk-win32\arch\x64\label\pepito-win10\libtransmission\variant.c:1199)
note the mix of \ and / do this have anyting with this?

It used "%LOCALAPPDATA%/transmission-daemon".... but the transmission-daemon do just ignore that path/settings.json... when started as service.

After some digging.... and hairpulling/googeling... i found what was wrong.

It seems like transmission-daemon do NOT use "%LOCALAPPDATA%/transmission-daemon" folder for data/config... it uses "C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\transmission-daemon"

Note it uses the ServiceProfils in windows directory....

Is this just as it should be or somting of a bug? :?:

Sorry for my butchering of the english language

...and a spesial thanks goes to: Mike Gelfand for pointing me here with a smile :evil: ..... NOT!
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Re: Possibe bug? or is it just me?

Post by mike.dld »

When using transmission-deamon on Windows, it gets registered as a service and runs under LocalService account. This means that LOCALAPPDATA environment variable is specific to that LocalService user, not the user you're using yourself. On Windows 10, it would expand to something like "C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local" and not "C:\Users\******\AppData\Local" that you expect it to be. Also note that that when you run the daemon with `-f` argument you're most probably running it under your user, not LocalService, hence the variable expands to the latter instead.

If you want to change that, you need to reconfigure the service to either run under different user, or pass it `-g/--config-dir` argument. There's also always an option of just editing the right file (at the former path above).

Mix of slash characters in paths is not an issue, Windows supports both in most cases. Transmission also transform all separators to backslashes internally when calling Windows system functions (as it usually bypasses normalization by adding \\?\ prefix), and this mix is only visible to users but not the system. See also https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/jeremy ... alization/ ("Canonicalizing Separators" section).
BogusByte

Post by BogusByte »

Thanks... That was just what i found out....after some lound swearing and beardpulling.... and the wiki/howto/readme do not indicate anything like this.... it tells you that the deamon uses %LOCALAPPDATA%/transmission-daemon... Was just wanting to get it confirmed boy someone else :)

Maybe add that info to the wiki on the windows part inder Windows Default about configfiles? ....about the "ServiceProfiles" part... the as it do not say anything about it..... ?

Was just trying to help future users not having the frustration i had with it :)
JesterRace

Post by JesterRace »

BogusByte wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:13 pm Thanks... That was just what i found out....after some lound swearing and beardpulling.... and the wiki/howto/readme do not indicate anything like this.... it tells you that the deamon uses %LOCALAPPDATA%/transmission-daemon... Was just wanting to get it confirmed boy someone else :)

Maybe add that info to the wiki on the windows part inder Windows Default about configfiles? ....about the "ServiceProfiles" part... the as it do not say anything about it..... ?

Was just trying to help future users not having the frustration i had with it :)
ANd so you have done. Got a pretty similar issue and as you googled all around until I¡ve found the reason, that should be at least on the wiki...