FAQ for Windows Firewall Issues

Ask for help and report issues with the Windows version of Transmission
rooters

FAQ for Windows Firewall Issues

Post by rooters »

I install transmission about twice a year on various computers. Every single time, I run into the same issues. The Firewall for Windows blocks the connection.

The problems:
Sometimes Windows firewall tells you its blocking the connection and offers you a quick solution.
Sometimes Windows firewall doesn't tell you its blocking the connection and doesn't offer you a quick solution. When it doesn't work, an FAQ would be super helpful.
I install so much software over my life, that trying to remember the specific steps for this just isn't possible.

I have searched for 90 minutes with every search engine. I have searched this site up and down.

I've added 'Transmission-daemon' manually to the windows firewall. That doesn't work on this Windows 10 machine. I've tried it before on others and I honestly can't remember that it ever worked as I've gone down this path multiple times. What I do remember is that during every single install on windows, I always have to fiddle with something, and it would really be peachy if I didn't have to ever fiddle around to make anything work. A specific set of steps that was easy to find would be really helpful.

My Questions:
1. Is there a quick FAQ somewhere to remind me what to do so I don't have to fiddle with this every single time I try to install it with mixed results?
2. IF there is a quick FAQ, why isn't it posted directly on the download page or on the front page of the site? It is fairly clear that this isn't just an issue for me when you search the web. Finding the answer is impossible. I've given up. Hence this post.

I truly enjoy the program on the machines it does work on. I'm a certified IT pro and have been managing systems for decades, point being, I'm not a n00b. Good documentation is so important.

Can someone please help either point me to the docs, or tell me why they don't exist?

Thanks!