Transmission for Windows

Ask for help and report issues with the Windows version of Transmission
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Re: Transmission for Windows

Post by Jordan »

spry wrote:Thanks. Unfortunately for a long time I've gave up keeping in up-to-date state of transmission builds for windows platform. Next week I'll try to fix that
:)
shelftalker

Post by shelftalker »

Wanna new versions!
iainnitro

Post by iainnitro »

Hello All:

I am glad to see that this is in the works. I would love to help test any beta GUI versions that come out! Since I am stuck with Windows for work reasons, and Transmission is my BT client of choice -- I am VERY interested in this being done. If there is anything I can do to help (aside from my rather limited ability to code) please feel free to include me in your production testing.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

If you really like doing some prototype testing, get your crash helmet and look at this thread:

http://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtop ... 848#p37848

That's the Qt version, the latest (1.75) has some known bugs: GUI is default Qt unless you change the libraries with ones taken from Qt's developer distribution, slowly leaks memory, crashes if you delete several torrents, some times before crashing it just stops refreshing.

It hasn't been tested AFAIK as torrent server, I use it with a separate daemon, instead of using the Web interface (the Qt app has much more functionality).

There is also a GTK+ (for Windows) application, I could put an installer in the same place (its 10 times as big as the other) or, if you like to build it yourself take a look at this thread:

http://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtop ... f=1&t=8742

And there is the option of non-GUI tools, if you like using Cygwin then building the daemon and transmission-remote is easy (even transmission-cli should work since ncurses is available for Cygwin).
misfitpierce

Post by misfitpierce »

Indeed... Windows = ewwww. I wish this would not be given to windows as well. I want it to be since its the best client out there and more people should use it, but windows sucks and I don't like sharing things with them :P . They should just move to Ubuntu/*Nix or Mac if they want bad enough... Mainly Ubuntu or another Linux Distro =P
iainnitro

Post by iainnitro »

well what they say about opinions holds true. :-) If I could get my work done with a Mac or my Linux box ( Yes I do run Linux) then I would not care, but Linux is about choice and my employer chooses to have Windows for the desktop :-)

I love Transmission and I discovered it on my Macintosh when I had one back in the day. I was tickled to find it on Linux and I just want the best BT client for my Windows boxes as well! Even Apple doesn't condone Window bashing and is bringing lots of software to the platform... if Linux was the top OS in the market, then everyone would talk about it just like they do Windows.

Anyhow, I hope to see Transmission progress in all platforms.
birdguts

Post by birdguts »

I am having problems with Transmission for Windows (I have tried all builds linked on the previous page, including 1.6). For some reason, even though my ports are forwarded fine, I really struggle to connect to any seeders - occasionally I will connect to one, but then after a short while the seeders/leechers will drop down to 0/0. All torrents that I have tried have been well seeded. Any ideas what the problem may be? Thanks :)
etlunatic

Post by etlunatic »

birdguts wrote:I am having problems with Transmission for Windows (I have tried all builds linked on the previous page, including 1.6). For some reason, even though my ports are forwarded fine, I really struggle to connect to any seeders - occasionally I will connect to one, but then after a short while the seeders/leechers will drop down to 0/0. All torrents that I have tried have been well seeded. Any ideas what the problem may be? Thanks :)
Same problem here, QTransmission handshakes fine but cannot write or does not have permission to write on the Hard Drive.

Any idea, suggestion?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

etlunatic wrote:Same problem here, QTransmission handshakes fine but cannot write or does not have permission to write on the Hard Drive.

Any idea, suggestion?
This thread is about a port of the transmission-daemon to Windows, QTransmission (a.k.a. QtTransmission or QTr) is a different animal.

It is a know bug that QTransmission doesn't work as stand-alone client under Windows. The problem is very much like the one described by birdguts and that might be a clue... my current problem with QTransmission, which by the way works fine under Linux (tested in Fedora 11), is that the debug build doesn't work at all, and I haven't been able to really analyze what is going on.

For reference the thread about QTransmission is http://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtop ... f=1&t=7612 .
etlunatic

Post by etlunatic »

rb07 wrote:
etlunatic wrote:Same problem here, QTransmission handshakes fine but cannot write or does not have permission to write on the Hard Drive.

Any idea, suggestion?
This thread is about a port of the transmission-daemon to Windows, QTransmission (a.k.a. QtTransmission or QTr) is a different animal.

It is a know bug that QTransmission doesn't work as stand-alone client under Windows. The problem is very much like the one described by birdguts and that might be a clue... my current problem with QTransmission, which by the way works fine under Linux (tested in Fedora 11), is that the debug build doesn't work at all, and I haven't been able to really analyze what is going on.

For reference the thread about QTransmission is http://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtop ... f=1&t=7612 .
Sorry, my mistake :oops:
wahaneebelly

Post by wahaneebelly »

I use Transmission simply because it is light, functional. Same goes for settings in general. Transmission doesn't have too many things you can tweak. But that isn't Instab's fault And I'd say getting the thing to run on Windows is already a big step. Transmission adopts a classic Mac GUI while the likes of uTorrent has an ugly Windows GUI that is over clustered.
ransagy

Post by ransagy »

Is this unofficial side project abandoned? I don't see any more progress since 2008ish.
This is a real shame, Transmission seems to have the best of both worlds regarding protocol support and UI.

I stopped using uTorrent on Windows lately and i really need a better client.

EDIT: Just so it might help others, Look at the other "Build Transmission on Windows" thread in the later posts - rb07 is maintaining a Windows binary of sorts for those interested in trying.
Tal

Post by Tal »

I get an error while starting cli, says missing "LIBEAY32.dll".
I used 1.40-r169-r7132.
rbomb

Post by rbomb »

Please close and unpin this thread because QT based client is future, .net framework is history.
Mati

Post by Mati »

Awsome to have this incredible client on windows! Would you still support it? I would like to see it in http://www.transmissionbt.com/download/ not just as a port in ADD-ONS tab... utorrent, bittorent and qbittorent sucks compare to this one so... it will be cool.