Build Transmission on Windows

Ask for help and report issues with the Windows version of Transmission
rb07

Re: Build Transmission on Windows

Post by rb07 »

msdobrescu wrote:The dialogs appear again and again.
That's strange, anything unusual in your environment? Things like foreign characters in file paths, the user is not the same that installed Transmission and he is not in the Administrators (or Power Users) group?

Did running the application create a "/Users/<your user name>/Application Data/transmission" directory? If not, are you sure that running the application on a command window doesn't return an error message.
How would I attach the profiling log?
No, don't do that. Nobody wants to see a big log in a forum... and I certainly don't like debugging what may be a Windows problem.
Some debug files might help.
What debug files? The application is built as a release, no debugging info is included, if that is what you meant.
cadusilva

Post by cadusilva »

x190 wrote:@cadusilva,

Most likely you are seeing DHT traffic (UDP).
This is possible even with the job list empty?
msdobrescu

Post by msdobrescu »

rb07 wrote:That's strange, anything unusual in your environment? Things like foreign characters in file paths, the user is not the same that installed Transmission and he is not in the Administrators (or Power Users) group?
I always use English Windows and English characters. I am in the Administrators group. Always. It is the same user also.
rb07 wrote:Did running the application create a "/Users/<your user name>/Application Data/transmission" directory? If not, are you sure that running the application on a command window doesn't return an error message.
"Application Data" is a shortcut. However, if is click on it in Explorer, "no permission" error occur, although I (read my user) have all the rights there.
I can access /Users/<my user>/AppData/Roaming/ where there is a "transmission" folder. There are the following empty folders:

blocklists
Resume
Torrents
rb07 wrote: How would I attach the profiling log?

No, don't do that. Nobody wants to see a big log in a forum... and I certainly don't like debugging what may be a Windows problem.
I've thought you are interested in it.
It's last lines are:

Loaded "SHELL32.DLL" at address 0x05F50000. Successfully hooked module.
Unloaded "SHELL32.DLL" at address 0x05F50000.
Second chance exception 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) occurred in "TRANSMISSION-QT.EXE" at address 0x004CED9A.
Exited "TRANSMISSION-QT.EXE" (process 0xE40) with code -1073741819 (0xC0000005).
rb07 wrote:What debug files? The application is built as a release, no debugging info is included, if that is what you meant.
I mean would be good a full debug build with all debug symbols to see where it crashes precisely.
cadusilva

Post by cadusilva »

x190 wrote:
cadusilva wrote:
x190 wrote:@cadusilva,

Most likely you are seeing DHT traffic (UDP).
This is possible even with the job list empty?
Yes, you are still a node on the DHT network.
Ok, thank you!
I mean would be good a full debug build with all debug symbols to see where it crashes precisely.
TransmissionQT has an option called Message Log in the context menu, but does not work here.
lubotin

Post by lubotin »

Hi!
I've just built Transmission 2.12 with MinGW tools in Fedora for Windows, but it has strange trouble. I use WindowsXP.
After 10 secs of working it crashes. Some researching in debugger shows that it crashes on listen(WSA), it throws exception with code 6D9.

By the way, rb07's builds have the same trouble on my machine.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

lubotin
Builds? You mean previous versions show the same problem?

You give almost no useful information, what do you mean by "exception"? what "debugger" did you use? did you build for debugging?

So you are using Windows XP, just like me, and I've had Transmission-Qt working with no trouble for about a month, in 2 different machines.

Do you use anti-virus? or other intrusive software.

Have you adjusted tcpip.sys' connection limit?

Have you looked at the "Event Viewer" for relevant messages?
lubotin

Post by lubotin »

rb07!

I installed Windows XP SP3 on Virtual Machine. There is no software on it. I didn't make any special settings.

Message from windows:
transmission-qt.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. .... Send report/Don't Send

When I use OllyDebug with your version of Transmission 2.12. It says that Access violation when reading 0x00000010.
CPU Disasm
Address Hex dump Command Comments
004CED9A 0FB600 MOVZX EAX,BYTE PTR DS:[EAX]
EAX = 0x00000010

Thanks!
rb07

Post by rb07 »

lubotin wrote:I installed Windows XP SP3 on Virtual Machine. There is no software on it. I didn't make any special settings.
Why a "virtual machine"?

You need to make settings changes, Windows XP comes with its firewall active, that will stop any program from communicating to the Internet. The tcpip.sys change is needed for any real use; but you get a log entry on the "Event Viewer" that says clearly that Windows stopped your program's communication because it opened too many connections.

The rest of your post is useless. You haven't mentioned the most basic information, and this, so far, has nothing to do with "Build Transmission on Windows", its more of "Running Transmission-Qt on Windows", and not even Windows but a VM (don't tell me its one of Amazon's EC2).
test004

Post by test004 »

hey system cannot find make make install ** no targets specified
only Makefile.in and Makefile.am exist
also the patch < cygwin.patch when am enterin tells me **** malformed patch at line 4:case &host_os in
how i created the patch? i did make document file copied pasted the code you telling and changed the extension from .txt to .patch
any help?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

test004
You don't need a patch on Cygwin.

You don't say where you got your information, have you seen this? Building on Windows - Cygwin environment

And your first remark doesn't make sense, at least say what where you doing, just a few relevant details to understand what are you asking.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Charles wrote:I don't know how many people would use it, but I think a binary would be fun. If you start building 'em, I'll link to them on the homepage.
A year and a half later ... Unofficial Windows build of Transmission-Qt (yes, version 2.13 is already there).

Current release versions build with no changes, so this thread is no longer really useful, people interested in building themselves should use the Wiki article Building Transmission-Qt Windows, or one of the alternative procedures documented also on the SourceForge project.

A small list of known problems, and also a page on hints on using it is part of the documentation. Thanks to all the people that have participated on this thread, I think we learned a few new things along the way, writing some documentation was just a way to preserve that information (without need to read all 16 pages of this thread).

BTW the documentation is a monoBlog, get it? monologue, monolog, monoblog ;-)
tijay

Post by tijay »

Recently I installed TransmissionQT 2.13 on Win7 to replace my former linux seedbox and faced a strange problem:
It don't download big files :( hen file size is more than 2GB it just stops with error "Invalid argument"
Do anyone had such problems or it's my fault?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

tijay
Its a MinGW limitation, it doesn't support large files.

MinGW is the compiler used to build the Transmission-Qt application you have. There are at least 2 workarounds, both involve re-building the application and have not been tested (that means it could be a lot of work), one is to use a different compiler, mingw-w64, the other is to patch the code to use the functions that do support large files.

Requests and bug reports about the (binary) version distributed through Sourceforge should go to its tracker since this is not a Transmission problem... well perhaps it should show an error message since it detected in the configuration step that there was no large file support, I mean a clear error message, not "Invalid argument".
rb07

Post by rb07 »

rb07 wrote:Its a MinGW limitation, it doesn't support large files.
More lies... on further examination, MinGW does support large files... but not as libtransmission is doing it.

The problems seem to be a few lseek (where in MinGW you have to use lseek64) and stat (MinGW has _stat64) calls. There could also be other problems with off_t (32-bit on MinGW, but can use off64_t instead). There is no fallocate64 in MinGW but I swear I fixed a piece of code that did the same functionality with a Windows library function (of course now I can't find it).

The current application probably has some weird operation, downloading a big file starts by creating the big file (pre-allocation should work), but later it truncates the file, not sure if it also shows the error at this time or later. But if you only want to seed, then it fails from the start for the same reason as if you start downloading, stop transmission, then start it again... it fails checking whatever it had downloaded.

In other words, yes I would call this a (porting) bug. I'll see if I can fix it and put the changes on the bug tracker. At least you should expect a fix for the next release (I hope is not too soon to have time to test the changes).
- - - - - - - -
It wasn't a porting bug, a patch to the MinGW environment solves this, it is an old, well known, patch that helps the configure script find the large file support... and its working fine.
Last edited by rb07 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
somik

Post by somik »

Those versions on http://sourceforge.net/projects/trqtw/ kept crashing. I install transmission, wait for 20~30 seconds, and it gives the windows error message and crash. I tried different variations of softwares installed on my Oracle VirtualBox running windows XP, starting from Base OS install to all patches, .net frameworks, VB runtimes files, nothing worked. All the while, it would run for a while, then crash.

There was 2~3 times when it didn't crash, however if i closed it and ran again, it crashed again.

Since this is not a OS problem, i thought it most definitely is transmission problem. So i installed different versions, (basically all i could find on this thread and those on sourceforge). However they all crashed.

Just when i started blaming the programmer (sorry for that), something occured to me. It said on this thread to disable DHT (god knows what that is), so i tried that. Didn't help.

So i tried disabling one thing after another, and i finally got a stable transmission that does not crash!

I know it has something to do with my router setup as all i did was:

Code: Select all

"dht-enabled": false, 
    "pex-enabled": false, 
    "peer-port-random-on-start": true, 
    "port-forwarding-enabled": false, 
Maybe someone here (like rb07) can tell me why its working now.

For those who are facing similar problems, here is the settings.json i used. Use a text difference tool to see my changes against yours. Remember to change the directory location if you intend to copy paste.

Code: Select all

{
    "alt-speed-down": 50, 
    "alt-speed-enabled": false, 
    "alt-speed-time-begin": 540, 
    "alt-speed-time-day": 127, 
    "alt-speed-time-enabled": false, 
    "alt-speed-time-end": 1020, 
    "alt-speed-up": 50, 
    "blocklist-date": 0, 
    "blocklist-enabled": false, 
    "blocklist-updates-enabled": true, 
    "blocklist-url": "http://www.example.com/blocklist", 
    "compact-view": true, 
    "dht-enabled": false, 
    "download-dir": "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Somik Khan\\My Documents/Downloads", 
    "encryption": 1, 
    "filter-mode": "show-all", 
    "filter-trackers": "", 
    "idle-seeding-limit": 30, 
    "idle-seeding-limit-enabled": false, 
    "incomplete-dir": "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Somik Khan\\My Documents/Downloads", 
    "incomplete-dir-enabled": false, 
    "inhibit-desktop-hibernation": false, 
    "lazy-bitfield-enabled": true, 
    "lpd-enabled": false, 
    "main-window-height": 500, 
    "main-window-layout-order": "menu,toolbar,filter,list,statusbar", 
    "main-window-width": 309, 
    "main-window-x": 50, 
    "main-window-y": 50, 
    "message-level": 2, 
    "open-dialog-dir": "C:/Documents and Settings/Somik Khan", 
    "open-file-limit": 32, 
    "peer-limit-global": 240, 
    "peer-limit-per-torrent": 60, 
    "peer-port": 59265, 
    "peer-port-random-high": 65535, 
    "peer-port-random-low": 49152, 
    "peer-port-random-on-start": true, 
    "peer-socket-tos": 0, 
    "pex-enabled": false, 
    "port-forwarding-enabled": false, 
    "preallocation": 1, 
    "prompt-before-exit": true, 
    "ratio-limit": 2, 
    "ratio-limit-enabled": false, 
    "remote-session-enabled": false, 
    "remote-session-host": "localhost", 
    "remote-session-password": "", 
    "remote-session-port": 9091, 
    "remote-session-requres-authentication": false, 
    "remote-session-username": "", 
    "rename-partial-files": true, 
    "rpc-authentication-required": false, 
    "rpc-enabled": true, 
    "rpc-password": "{42cb54c23aca857113add7bb33c515455f828e559oD9.goR", 
    "rpc-port": 9091, 
    "rpc-username": "", 
    "rpc-whitelist": "127.0.0.1", 
    "rpc-whitelist-enabled": false, 
    "script-torrent-done-enabled": false, 
    "script-torrent-done-filename": "", 
    "show-backup-trackers": false, 
    "show-desktop-notification": true, 
    "show-extra-peer-details": false, 
    "show-filterbar": true, 
    "show-notification-area-icon": false, 
    "show-options-window": true, 
    "show-statusbar": true, 
    "show-toolbar": true, 
    "sort-mode": "sort-by-name", 
    "sort-reversed": false, 
    "speed-limit-down": 100, 
    "speed-limit-down-enabled": false, 
    "speed-limit-up": 100, 
    "speed-limit-up-enabled": false, 
    "start-added-torrents": true, 
    "statusbar-stats": "total-ratio", 
    "trash-original-torrent-files": false, 
    "upload-slots-per-torrent": 14, 
    "user-has-given-informed-consent": true, 
    "watch-dir": "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Somik Khan\\My Documents/Downloads", 
    "watch-dir-enabled": false
}
Lets just hope this thread isn't dead....