Build Transmission on Windows

Ask for help and report issues with the Windows version of Transmission
rb07

Re: Build Transmission on Windows

Post by rb07 »

msdobrescu wrote:Hi, I am not sure as not all the apps report using Qt.
But I believe Amarok does.
I have installed Amarok from Amarok-2.4-git-win32-20101003.exe.
I have uninstalled Amarok, but no effect. Transmission has the same behavior.
DEP disabling did not solve the problem.
I was not clear... I was asking if you have other Qt applications to see if they also have problems or run fine, never said, or meant, that you should uninstall anything, or that some of them might be interfering.

Sorry for the confusion.

So, you don't think its DEP? I have no solution then, I don't know why it crashes, and can't reproduce the problem so I can't find why it may crash.
msdobrescu

Post by msdobrescu »

It is always a good test to eliminate other framework versions.
For instance, I have Deluge, which requires a special GTK build, other than Gimp, Inkscape, Easytag and Pidgin.
These apps work with that GTK build, except for some issues in textbox controls.
I've thought it might be the case of QT too, so I have uninstalled Amarok. It's not your fault.

Some unhandled exception handler would have been useful if possible (I don't know QT). Some exception catcher.
BTW, the uninstaller remains indefinitely in 'removing registry entries' step, in my case.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

A new build of version 2.12 is here http://ifile.it/s5y3x9o/Transmission-Qt-2.12-Setup.exe

Added fully functional GUI translation to this version, but of course only a few translations are available. Thanks to cadusilva there's a Brazilian-Portuguese translation (not complete because I kept changing things around, but 90% complete), I added a Spanish translation (Latin American variety), and there is an somewhat old Russian translation (that one is about 50% done).

As mentioned before, the developers have been asking for translators, the GTK application has 74 translations, the Qt application has 4... and its not that difficult (according to cadusilva ;-) ) its about 433 strings and it took me a couple of afternoons to do one.

For those people that like to build their own application, my patches to the code are in ticket #3766 (on the Wiki), with that patch you get also cadusilva translation, ticket #3751, the Russian translation, ticket #3570, and the Spanish translation, ticket #3765. Actually the .ts files on my patch are updated to keep in step with the changes to the code I made, so they have some new strings compared to the other tickets (and not have obsolete strings).
cadusilva

Post by cadusilva »

The ticket #3751 has just been updated with the new brazilian portuguese language file. Everything has been revised and corrected, starting from scratch to run perfectly with the latest version of Transmission launched by rb07. See the result:

I will translate the file qt_pt that has many, many lines, which requires more time and patience.

Some translations were too long and caused some changes in the interface. See:

And finally, there are still some terms in english or european portuguese, but I think these words are on qt_pt file that I will translate and release a complete version (currently very incomplete) in brazilian portuguese.

msdobrescu

Post by msdobrescu »

rb07 wrote:A new build of version 2.12 is here http://ifile.it/s5y3x9o/Transmission-Qt-2.12-Setup.exe
Hi, the latest version has the same issues I described on Windows 7 x64.
On both, Windows 7 x64 and x32, the uninstaller crashes remaining in an undefined state, so the window never closes.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

cadusilva wrote:I will translate the file qt_pt that has many, many lines, which requires more time and patience.
No, don't touch that.

First point: its a .qm file, you only translate .ts files not these.

Second point: it comes from Qt, any errors should be reported to them (just like any with your translation should be reported to your ticket).
cadusilva wrote:Some translations were too long and caused some changes in the interface.
Yep, I saw the Preferences grow in size when used in Spanish.
cadusilva wrote:there are still some terms in english or european portuguese
The English can be fixed, the Portuguese is the result of Qt not distributing a Brazilian_Portuguese translation for their stuff (again, that is a problem that should be reported to them).

On the English, I can think of 3 causes:
  • The translation has some not marked as finished;
  • The translation has some empty translations;
  • The code doesn't translate it.
The first two you can fix (as the translator). The last one you should report to Transmission's bug tracker.
cadusilva

Post by cadusilva »

the uninstaller crashes remaining in an undefined state, so the window never closes.
Yeah, here too. This is the only problem I'm having with Transmission. The uninstaller does not work right, never closing or completing the work.

rb07,
First point: its a .qm file, you only translate .ts files not these.
I found the TS file.
On the English, I can think of 3 causes:
- The translation has some not marked as finished;
- The translation has some empty translations;
- The code doesn't translate it.
All terms are translated. I found the english word in the file qt_pt.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

msdobrescu wrote:the latest version has the same issues I described on Windows 7 x64.
You should pay more attention to the messages... I never said there where any change that fixed crashes.

I don't have a fix, but the problem is likely to be in Windows and the main hint is that it runs for 30 seconds: if it where a problem with the code, it would crash immediately, the only thing that has a delay is DHT and I'm sure it is not crashing the application directly, but perhaps a library loaded with its operation does.

You could try, if you still have patience, to open the application, pass the "I Agree" and "Local Session" panels, then close it before it crashes. That will create settings.json and at least make the application not present those panels when it starts. Then on a second run go to Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy and disable DHT; this is to take that factor out of the equation. If it still crashes then it is more probable that a Windows "delayed load library" is the problem, or an anti-virus library which is "injected" into Windows' libraries.

Assuming it still crashes, load the program in SysInternals' Depends tool. Don't worry if some libraries are marked in red, use Profile -> Start Profiling... and let it crash. Then see if you get a message of what was loaded just before it crashed. Perhaps other interesting messages (among the very long log).
msdobrescu wrote:the uninstaller crashes remaining in an undefined state, so the window never closes
It doesn't crash, the window just doesn't close. Known problem, the installer is not part of the Transmission project, I reported the problem with the InstallJammer developer, he asked for more info, which I gave, and nothing happened.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

cadusilva wrote:I found the TS file.
Good for you, but I will not distribute any version of qt_pt.qm that doesn't come from Nokia (Trolltech), its their file.
cadusilva

Post by cadusilva »

rb07 wrote:
cadusilva wrote:I found the TS file.
Good for you, but I will not distribute any version of qt_pt.qm that doesn't come from Nokia (Trolltech), its their file.
I'm not asking you to do that, I'm just thinking of doing the translation. Then it can become official after be sent to Nokia.
cadusilva

Post by cadusilva »

Can you tell here what libraries and commands do you use to compile Transmission? The instructions in the Wiki are a bit outdated. Do you use Cygwin for that? I use it, then commands must be compatible.

But I can adapt myself to Mingw.

Thanks.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

No, I don't use Cygwin. Cygwin is not generally used for programs you plan to distribute, the result depends on Cygwin, and you only create a mess if you want to include the parts of Cygwin used by the program...

The Wiki procedure works, if you know what you are doing. If you want a "recipe", there isn't one.

If you want to do it on Windows, I've done that once, with the MingW that the Qt SDK installs, but its a long way, I'm not going to describe it.
cadusilva

Post by cadusilva »

Last time I followed the steps in the Wiki, many warnings appeared. At the end there are some commands obsolete. It was impossible to complete the process because of it. So I made the above request. If you can release the Transmission-QT, means that the steps used are working. I think that libraries are already explained in the Wiki, so I just need the updated commands.
cadusilva

Post by cadusilva »

I installed the latest Comodo Firewall and discovered that whenever TransmissionQT starts, it tries to receive a connection from the country Trinidad and Tobago.

Are you aware of this? What would be that inbound connection? Is it safe?

UPDATE: Now is from Netherlands.
msdobrescu

Post by msdobrescu »

Hi, I have never said that I expected you to fix something, as long as you have no clue why. But I didn't know what you might have fix either. Can you blame me for testing? :wink:
Concerning the installer, now it displays an error dialog, before it did not, so, that guy might have tried something.
Anyway, the closing before crash did not create the settings, I guess. The dialogs appear again and again.

How would I attach the profiling log?

Some debug files might help.