Build Transmission on Windows

Ask for help and report issues with the Windows version of Transmission
alex001

Re: Build Transmission on Windows

Post by alex001 »

Yes you can build transmission on windows.Below are same steps used in building transmission on windows
* cd qt
o Just once, either copy the Gtk icon (if you have it) or download it:
+ cp ../gtk/transmission.ico qtr.ico
+ curl http://trac.transmissionbt.com/export/8 ... ission.ico -o qtr.ico
* export QMAKESPEC=fedora-win32-cross
* export PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/lib/pkgconfig
* qmake-qt4 -win32 QT_LIBINFIX=4 qtr.pro
* perl -pi -e 's/-fno-rtti//' Makefile.Debug Makefile.Release
* make clean && make release
* INSTALL_ROOT=/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/sys-root/mingw make release-install
Sagres

Post by Sagres »

rb07 wrote:Do you have the C:/Users/<your user>/Application Data/transmission directory ?

I'm not sure if that was corrected, but the application used to fail storing its parameters because it didn't create the directory first... I don't know if that is the problem you are seeing but if the directory (and it may be in a slightly different place, I'm looking at WinXP and just substituted "Documents and Settings" for "Users") is not created perhaps there are weird values for the number of connections allowed... which you should be able to see in Edit -> Preferences -> Network, and also the port used (and run "Test Port").

You are the first person I've heard that seems to be using QTr by itself, I use it with a daemon running on another computer.
Actually i'm making it save in another directory, the torrent was already started by UT and QTr did find it and tested the parts already downloaded...

i tested the port it said the port was ok, any way what do you mean use it with daemon, are you referring to daemon tools (used to mount images) ? if not how should i run the program? can you make a little guide or at least refer me to one that would help me get it working (even if it means using that daemon program).

Thank you for your time :D
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Sagres wrote:Actually i'm making it save in another directory, the torrent was already started by UT and QTr did find it and tested the parts already downloaded...
I didn't mean the download directory, sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant the configurations directory.

By default the application should create a directory (for each user that runs it) where it stores many things one being the configuration it is using: the famous settings.json .

I was just wondering about 2 things, did it create the directory? when I first started using the application (back with version 1.72) it didn't and you had to create the directory by hand (the same thing happened in Linux, so it was/is a bug).

The second thing is, what parameters is using? Only for the relevant stuff, like port, and perhaps others but I can't think of any now.
i tested the port it said the port was ok, any way what do you mean use it with daemon, are you referring to daemon tools (used to mount images) ? if not how should i run the program? can you make a little guide or at least refer me to one that would help me get it working (even if it means using that daemon program).
No daemon tools, I was talking about transmission-daemon which is what you use on a headless server. In my case, I have a NAS running all the time and I can use the daemon from my PC either by using the Web client (which is the daemon itself) or using Qtr (which has more options you can control).

I don't know of a guide for Qtr, if you use the Help menu it will open your browser and show you the guide for the GTK+ client which is quite similar, perhaps that would help.

It would be interesting to see what does or does not work, it could be something as simple as Windows firewall is blocking the application (or any other "Internet security" products). Running a simple

Code: Select all

netstat -ab
could show you which ports the application is using, you should see at least the one you forwarded from the router, more if you have peers connecting. I haven't this one but if you connect using

telnet localhost <port>
(where <port> is whatever number you are using) and you "speak" transmission's RPC you could test a few things [too difficult for anyone but the developers].
Sagres

Post by Sagres »

rb07 wrote:
Sagres wrote:Actually i'm making it save in another directory, the torrent was already started by UT and QTr did find it and tested the parts already downloaded...
I didn't mean the download directory, sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant the configurations directory.

By default the application should create a directory (for each user that runs it) where it stores many things one being the configuration it is using: the famous settings.json .

I was just wondering about 2 things, did it create the directory? when I first started using the application (back with version 1.72) it didn't and you had to create the directory by hand (the same thing happened in Linux, so it was/is a bug).

The second thing is, what parameters is using? Only for the relevant stuff, like port, and perhaps others but I can't think of any now.
No daemon tools, I was talking about transmission-daemon which is what you use on a headless server. In my case, I have a NAS running all the time and I can use the daemon from my PC either by using the Web client (which is the daemon itself) or using Qtr (which has more options you can control).

I don't know of a guide for Qtr, if you use the Help menu it will open your browser and show you the guide for the GTK+ client which is quite similar, perhaps that would help.

It would be interesting to see what does or does not work, it could be something as simple as Windows firewall is blocking the application (or any other "Internet security" products). Running a simple

netstat -ab
could show you which ports the application is using, you should see at least the one you forwarded from the router, more if you have peers connecting. I haven't this one but if you connect using

telnet localhost <port>
(where <port> is whatever number you are using) and you "speak" transmission's RPC you could test a few things [too difficult for anyone but the developers].
I would like to help you but, i dun "speak" that :oops:

Just noticed that when i haven transmission open firefox takes like 4 times longer to connect to websites

about the application data i can't open it on vista it keeps giving me a access denied :/ (i don't think that unusual in this OS)
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Sagres wrote:Just noticed that when i haven transmission open firefox takes like 4 times longer to connect to websites
That's normal if you are downloading/uploading at full speed.
about the application data i can't open it on vista it keeps giving me a access denied :/ (i don't think that unusual in this OS)
What gives you access denied? Do you see the directory but can't open it?
Sagres

Post by Sagres »

Yeah i couldn't :| but i saw it (i made it show invisible files and hidden OS files)

I wasn't downloading at all that's why i found it strange that Transmission made firefox take like 4 times longer
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Sagres wrote:I wasn't downloading at all that's why i found it strange that Transmission made firefox take like 4 times longer
It could be that QTr is opening a large number of connections, that could affect your gateway and cause low throughput... you can check that with the "netstat -a" command (on a Windows command prompt, or using Run), the "netstat -ab" takes longer but it tells you the application's name.

I have to add a general note: QTr on Windows has some bugs that are not Transmission's fault, but the compiler used... I know that it doesn't show sizes above 2 GB correctly, in fact it shows a mess but the ratio and percentage are correct so its usable. The issue you are seeing could be another one of those bugs. I know QTr works much better under Linux, even if it is built with the same version of the compiler (gcc 4.3.something) the MinGW gcc is just not at the same level.
klak

Post by klak »

rb07 wrote:Let's see if this works...

A copy of the Windows installer with QTr and Transmission (Gtk+) is available at:

http://ifile.it/c2dkxsj/QtTransmission- ... taller.exe
http://ifile.it/1wuzj4k/TransmissionGTK ... taller.exe

http://ifile.it/9roena8/QtTransmission- ... taller.exe

http://ifile.it/ldaq1sw/QtTransmission- ... taller.exe

http://ifile.it/ogp40li/QtTransmission- ... taller.exe

And if you like a little better looking GUI, replace the original Qt libraries with these:

http://ifile.it/7pbevy2/Qt-libs-improved.zip
i save your QtTransmission-1.75_installer.exe. But almost all does not work =((
king555

Post by king555 »

I download http://ifile.it/c2dkxsj/QtTransmission- ... taller.exe .. 1.83 1.82. It's installed
but at the opening of this (whereismoney.ru/sample.torrent ) (and almost all others which not created in transmission) torrent-files the client does not add it and does not display its content (drawing a blank window). Why it may happened?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

klak wrote:i save your QtTransmission-1.75_installer.exe. But almost all does not work =((
Which Windows version? what did you install exactly? how does it fail?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

king555 wrote: the client does not add it and does not display its content (drawing a blank window). Why it may happened?
Does the "Add File" panel show the torrent's contents?

If I understand what you said, its after you add the .torrent that nothing happens, is that correct?

Also, if I understand, you are using the application as standalone client. Do you see any connections being made using netstat (on a Windows cmd, or any other tool that shows the network connections)?

One tool to see connections is TCPview http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 97437.aspx
king555

Post by king555 »

Does the "Add File" panel show the torrent's contents?
No. In Linux torrent's content are shown,but in windows not.

TCPview showing this row relative to qtr
qtr.exe:3360 TCP userpc:1640 10.10.0.33:11542 SYN_SENT
rb07

Post by rb07 »

king555 wrote:No. In Linux torrent's content are shown,but in windows not.
Then its not working at all.

What version of Windows are you using?

Language? It may be that I always skip native language support, but that only means it shows English all the time, not blank windows or panels... does the Help -> Version panel come up?

BTW, the last version 1.83 is the most stable. In fact if you added the Qt-libraries to an old version that may explain the problem, they are not for the old versions.
king555

Post by king555 »

I try Windows 7 and 1.83 - the torrent's content (there are russian letters) are shown,but it does not adding torrent to the torrents list
In Windows XP it does not adding and content are'nt shown.

I have not Help- Version panel (Just Help- About and Help -statistics ) and they looking normal.
klak

Post by klak »

rb07 wrote:Which Windows version? what did you install exactly? how does it fail?
I have windows xp professional.
I install transmission 1.83 and many problems disappeared. My problem is that files are not downloaded.
"Downloadinf from 0 of 0 connected peer(s) - Idle", but peers is active
In Edit -> Preferences: port is open
Firewall is off