Build Transmission on Windows

Ask for help and report issues with the Windows version of Transmission
klak

Re: Build Transmission on Windows

Post by klak »

I build transmission under fedora11, but all the same problems. I tried under Cygwin (http://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtop ... f=1&t=7612). I copied text from example below in cygwin.patch . When I try doing patch<cygwin.patch, I have error:

Code: Select all

(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file configure
patch: **** malformed patch at line 4: case $host_os in

What am I doing wrong?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

king555 wrote:I try Windows 7 and 1.83 - the torrent's content (there are russian letters) are shown,but it does not adding torrent to the torrents list.
In Windows XP it does not adding and content are'nt shown.
That's strange, I've used all versions under Windows XP and they all work.

One thing with the application, it does take a long time to start, about 2 or 3 minutes for me. During that time I can add torrents and change to "turtle mode" and it works but it doesn't show until about 3 minutes have passed from the start, after that it works normally unless its going to crash (sometimes it stops refreshing the information unless you click on something, and that is a sure sign that it is going to crash... deleting several torrents one after the other will cause that, but it has improved in the newer versions).
rb07

Post by rb07 »

klak wrote:I build transmission under fedora11, but all the same problems. I tried under Cygwin (http://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtop ... f=1&t=7612). I copied text from example below in cygwin.patch . When I try doing patch<cygwin.patch, I have error:

(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file configure
patch: **** malformed patch at line 4: case $host_os in

What am I doing wrong?
You don't need the patch under Cygwin (as the Wiki says: http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/Building). But I'll clean my text on the Wiki and take out the (unneeded patch).

The Qt version doesn't build under Cygwin, only the daemon and transmission-remote. Transmissioncli probably also builds and works but I haven't used it or tried building it.

Using the Fedora-MinGW developer environment... you didn't have the updated patch for version 1.83, since I haven't updated the Wiki.

I'll have to do some testing to see what is happening with QTr as a standalone application. I use it as a front-end to transmission-daemon but now I have set up a little testing environment (daemon on Linux, QTr on Windows not as front-end but leeching from the daemon).

You seem to have everything right on your environment, no Windows firewall, port test passed so any port mapping is already configured right... is your user in the administrators group? it might be needed to open any port, I'm not sure (Windows is not Linux so there shouldn't be problems if the port is below 1024 or not).
klak

Post by klak »

Port are opened. Tcp view is showing connections to seeders for ex:
qtr.exe:4524 TCP userpc:51414 91.122.133.10:4255 CLOSE_WAIT
qtr.exe:4524 TCP userpc:51414 92.115.133.129:3441 CLOSE_WAIT
qtr.exe:4524 TCP userpc:51414 a138.sub205.net78.udm.net:4776 CLOSE_WAIT
qtr.exe:4524 TCP userpc:51414 188.17.87.239:3373 CLOSE_WAIT
qtr.exe:4524 TCP userpc:51414 95.79.142.205:3497 CLOSE_WAIT
qtr.exe:4524 TCP userpc:51414 95.79.142.205:3145 CLOSE_WAIT
qtr.exe:4524 TCP userpc:51414 95.67.171.233:55248 CLOSE_WAIT
qtr.exe:4524 TCP userpc:51414 94.158.106.88:3328 ESTABLISHED
qtr.exe:4524 TCP userpc:51414 91.201.177.58:3361 CLOSE_WAIT
qtr.exe:4524 TCP userpc:51414 91.77.130.199:61909 CLOSE_WAIT
qtr.exe:4524 TCP userpc:51414 78.158.157.121:63323 CLOSE_WAIT
qtr.exe:4524 TCP userpc:51414 92.126.179.19:55443 CLOSE_WAIT
qtr.exe:4524 TCP userpc:51414 92.126.47.39:1478 CLOSE_WAIT
qtr.exe:4524 TCP userpc:51414 82.193.139.227:52590 CLOSE_WAIT
qtr.exe:4524 TCP userpc:20265 localhost:20264 ESTABLISHED
qtr.exe:4524 TCP userpc:20264 localhost:20265 ESTABLISHED
qtr.exe:4524 TCP userpc:51414 91.122.133.10:3873 CLOSE_WAIT
But file not downloading. I try different things(such as deletings .resume files and etc) and in one moment transmission begin to downloading ~47kb and stopped. After it i can't repeat this situation files are not downloading.

In settings.json paths are writed in different formats as
"C:\/Documents and Settings\/user" and as "C:/Documents and Settings/user" it does not matter?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Interesting.

And there are no errors shown in the first panel of the torrent's Properties? The Trackers panel is currently useless, doesn't show anything, the Peers panel could also be interesting, if it shows a list of peers, what status do they show? pass the mouse pointer over the states for an explanation of their meaning.

Also, I haven't checked this, but the Windows Event Viewer + Applications could show messages sent by the application.
In settings.json paths are writed in different formats as
"C:\/Documents and Settings\/user" and as "C:/Documents and Settings/user" it does not matter?
No, I don't think it matters, both should work as expected.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Bug confirmed: QTr doesn't work as standalone application. It works fine alongside a transmission-daemon(s).

I did some testing and everything looked fine except it didn't download the torrent.

This has nothing to do with the problem reported by king555 about no details showing on the "options dialog" (when opening a .torrent and the option "Show options dialog" is selected allowing you to select which files are downloades; BTW there's another bug in that panel, the first file can't be unselected).

Some detail for those who are interested, it loads the .torrent file fine, it contacts the tracker and receives peers (seeders & leechers) fine, it starts connecting fine... but then it looses the connection and keeps trying to connect to peers over and over as expected. [here I spelunked the information using transmission-remote, connecting to the application just as if I was connecting to the daemon; also used TCPView which dynamically shows the connections, the interesting event is that when a connection becomes ESTABLISHED it disappears almost immediately, doesn't seem to be closed, its just lost]

So what is wrong? I don't know, main suspect is libcurl but I'm just guessing, I did build that shared library under the Fedora-MinGW environment since the version they had was not the latest at the time, now there is a newer one which I will build along curl itself and test that resulting curl to see if it has problems. I haven't searched the Curl forum/list to see if there is any trick to a Windows port, perhaps I'm just running into a known problem but I doubt it. Second main suspect: some incorrect use of the Windows cr@#, oops! sorry, I'm just get mad when I make errors like these.

I'll report back when I find the solution, and update the QTr installer or whatever is needed.

Thanks for the reports Sagres, klak, king555.
klak

Post by klak »

I'll report back when I find the solution, and update the QTr installer or whatever is needed.
Thank you very much! I await with impatience.
Butters84

Post by Butters84 »

i hope someone can help me. the webinterface does not work, but i need it. The "WEB" folder is also missing. i always get this message:
404: Not Found

Couldn't find Transmission's web interface files!

Users: to tell Transmission where to look, set the TRANSMISSION_WEB_HOME environment variable to the folder where the web interface's index.html is located.

Package Builders: to set a custom default at compile time, #define PACKAGE_DATA_DIR in libtransmission/platform.c or tweak tr_getClutchDir() by hand.
I downloaded this: http://ifile.it/aptbk5h/Transmission-1.91-Setup.exe
I would be happy to get the 1.91 just with the windows daemon and webinterface

please help me!! THX!!
rb07

Post by rb07 »

What exactly are you using? and, what are you trying to do?

There is no "windows daemon" on the package you mention. If you want to run the daemon under Windows I would recommend that you build it under Cygwin (it builds out of the box if you have all the requisites). Of course it will only run as a daemon if you know how to accomplish that (i.e. cygrunsrv).

Perhaps the name of the package you mention is what is causing confusion, it only contains the QTr application, nothing else. And you are right if you think the application can also be accessed using the Web interface, but right now is not working as a stand alone client so there is no use for that (and I've never included the "Web files" with the package; the same goes for the GTK+ package which doesn't work at all under Windows -- I don't see any reason to include the "Web files" anyway).
alenas

Post by alenas »

Why can't transmission team make a build with whatever tools (cygwin, mingw, etc) and have it in downloads section?
There is pretty good GUI (transmission-remote-dotnet), so all we need is a daemon.
I have Acer easystore Windows Home Server and I would love to run transmission-daemon there and use transmission-remote-dotnet on my local pc's.
If there are people building this already - it would make sense to share those builds :)
Diablofan

Post by Diablofan »

rb07 wrote:Let's see if this works...

http://ifile.it/u3r9v6i/QTransmission-1.93-Setup.exe
Note: No improvement on the stand-alone server side.

http://ifile.it/oqgm9t4/QTransmission-2 ... -Setup.exe
Note 1: This is a second build, I fixed a long standing mistake I made that showed as QTr not saving the preferences.
Note 2: Does not work as stand-alone server. This is a little more experimental build, I used Qt 4.7beta1, and a few other libraries in development.
I was able to install QTransmission on windows using both of those, but when I tried to add a torrent file with files that already existed, my computers CPU temperature spiked up to 61 degree's before I quit it with both versions (after I started monitoring it). Before I started monitoring it, the CPU temperature spiked to 82 Celsius before shutting down immediately. :evil:

While I loved using Transmission on Ubuntu, and would love to use it on Windows, I can't use it with out having it over heat my processor :x

Basic System Specs (if they're of any use):
Biostar GeForce 6100-M9 motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ @ 2.00 GHz
2GBs of DDR 400 Ram
Primary Hard drive: 500 GB WD SATA
Windows 7 Ultimate Edition.

I'll provide pictures upon request.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Diablofan :

Two points, first like the notes say, "it doesn't work as stand-alone server" so the test you did with "a torrent file with files that already existed" will not work. I'm still tracking down that problem which only happens with my port to Windows.

Second, I've used it as front end for a daemon running on a NAS for a long time, no problem at all. I've also tested it as stand-alone server on a Netbook (a small Toshiba NB200 with an Atom processor), no high CPU problem, no overheating, no unusual memory use or leak, nothing like you describe... it just doesn't connect to any peers or, to be precise, it connects but doesn't do anything just waits for the "handshake" then kills the connection; and with version 2.00b1 something new, it crashes.

So your description is something I have never seen and its the first time somebody reports something like it; there must be something else happening.

Currently I'm working on a new method of porting Transmission to MingW (no, there are no plans to build for 64 bit architectures), I'll upload a new installer in a few days if the stand-alone problem is corrected. On the other hand, I've finally succeeded in building a debug version that works, now I can run it under gdb and see what is happening... of course this means now I have to learn a lot more about the internals.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Diablofan :

Just an idea, do you have a firewall or any kind of "Internet security"?

What you described sounds like some reports about really crapy versions of those.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

OK, that didn't work...

I've uploaded a new version of QTr for Windows viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7612&p=37848#p37848 which as before works only with remote sessions, it DOES NOT work as stand alone client and, just as Diablofan reported, it does use a lot more CPU than with remote sessions if you even try, in fact I can't even switch from remote to local with this version.

This version is not only made with the latest beta (2.00b2) which means it has the latest improvements, it also uses a completely different porting procedure (GNUlib http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/) which I expected to solve the problem, but it didn't.

If it becomes stuck as local server and you want to connect to a remote server, open a cmd window or equivalent and change to the directory where the application is installed, then execute:

qtr --remote <IP address> --username <user> --password <password>
This is needed only once, the application will save the last settings used.
Longinus00

Post by Longinus00 »

rb07: Since you're making builds/how-to guides and providing most of the information in this thread, I was thinking you should make a new one with all your info in the first post. I think it would be easier that way for new people to come in and get information rather than have to hunt though several pages. Hopefully the mods will replace the current sticky with whatever you make because the current sticky thread is woefully out of date.