Umask setting not working

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
lukeduncan

Umask setting not working

Post by lukeduncan »

According to the wiki setting "umask": 0, in settings.json the files transmission-daemon creates will be world writable or 777 in octet notation. But even after completely restarting the system as well as just transmission and double checking the config file, I'm still seeing new files created with 755 permissions.

I'm running ubuntu 10.04 with transmission-daemon running as its own user.

Am I missing something? What is the next step?
lukeduncan

Re: Umask setting not working

Post by lukeduncan »

As a stop gap I setup a cron job to chmod the files every 5 minutes, but seems like it shouldn't be necessary.
gunzip

Re: Umask setting not working

Post by gunzip »

does the user "transmission-daemon" have ownership of the download-dir specified in your settings.json?

i run the transmission-daemon as regular user and my download directory is in my home directory. as a test when i changed umask to 0 my torrent directories were created with 777 permissions and all files were 666 ... so it did work as advertised. i never get permission conflicts since everything is run and owned by me as a regular user, and i never write anything outside my home directory.

anyway i'm guessing it's just a minor permissions issue.

using Transmission 2.03+ (11032) in Debian.