trying to edit settings.json

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
Symbiot

trying to edit settings.json

Post by Symbiot »

Hi

I'm trying to edit settings.json. It took me ages to find it.
My installation is on a Synology ds-209.
Settings.json was found in var/services/homes/username/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json

I want to add "watch-dir-enabled": true and of course the path to the scanfolder.

But after adding the 2 lines and saving the file.. and restarting transmission.. the file reverts back to the default and thus discarding my changes.

I already chmodded the file just to make sure, but of course, that didn't help..

Any and all advice will be appreciated!
Symbiot

Re: trying to edit settings.json

Post by Symbiot »

thnanks..

reading this:

Note: The client should be closed before making changes, otherwise settings will be reverted to it's previous state.

Gives me a hint.

_Will test after work_

Thanks!
gmorehou

Post by gmorehou »

I am having this problem with the daemon on Linux as well. I'm running 2.22 on Debian 6.0.

I stop the daemon, verify it's stopped, edit settings.json, cat settings.json and the change is there, restart the daemon and the change is gone. In this case I am attempting to edit the rpc-whitelist setting. Please help!
gmorehou

Post by gmorehou »

I symlinked /etc/transmission-daemon to settings.json but it's still overwriting it.

I should mention I built Transmission from source on Debian because the official packages are too rarely updated. I also copied my startup script in /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon.sh from an older Debian etch install; I think it was adapted from something in contrib in the source. I changed the various directories around.

Any ideas why it'd overwrite it? At this point I'm not even sure where it was, before I created the symlink in /etc, figuring out where to -find- the settings.json file, let alone overwrite it.

If it makes any difference, settings.json is on a network volume.
blacke4dawn

Post by blacke4dawn »

Have you checked so that the init-script doesn't send those settings as command-line options during boot? That will override anything already in settings.json.
gmorehou

Post by gmorehou »

Bam, you nailed it. The settings in question were in my init script.

This script has been carried forward for a LONG time and is probably from 1.x days. I skimmed through it last night, but didn't catch it then. Thanks!
blacke4dawn

Post by blacke4dawn »

No problems, just thought of the days when Gentoo tried setting almost all as command line options that were possible to set as command line options. Then changed to set, by default, nothing as command line options.

Although I must say that Gentoo seems to have a much better system and tools for handling such changes.
Anubis1

Post by Anubis1 »

SAME PROBLEM ASUSTOR SOLVED

1. Turn off Transmission
2. edit settings.json
3. then start Transmission again - vola changed settings are in