Why no uploading?!

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
Absentia

Why no uploading?!

Post by Absentia »

I'm using Transmission 2.3.1 but the problem didn't just appear with the current version.

I've checked my network, firewall, and router settings several times. With virtually any torrent, I can download at terrific speeds but my ratio gets slaughtered because essentially nothing ever goes out. Even if I have a large portion of a torrent and I'm connected to several new leechers with nothing, I hardly ever get outgoing traffic to go to more than one or two at slow speed. Transmission will even begin downloading from leechers who have very little while failing to upload to them.

A mouseover* will show them as unchoked and interested, yet nothing moves. The only time I seem to get much outgoing traffic is after the download is complete and I'm a seeder. Problem is that by then my ratio may be so bad that I'm banned from the tracker. Severely restricting download speed and opening up upload speed has little or no effect except to kill my ratio slower. It's been ages since I got upload speed to come anywhere near any set upload limit. It rarely rises above 0.

* Secondarily, when I roll the mouse over a peer to view the "tooltip" about the connection, it usually blinks on and back off for a fraction of a second too short to read it.
ben1988

Re: Why no uploading?!

Post by ben1988 »

I have a similar problem with transmission 2.22 on an os x 10.5.8/PPC. I barely can upload any data to closed trackers, however it's working fine with open trackers. Tried to downgrade but that did not help either. I know PowerPC development and support has already been dropped, but it would be nice to have one last fully working version for ppc.
Btw. I did not have this issue with a linux build so I have no idea as to what could be the problem.
Absentia

Post by Absentia »

But why wouldn't Transmission be sharing with others in the presence of a large swarm where perhaps only a quarter have 100%?
Absentia

Post by Absentia »

Drat!
My ratio's about to die. The most peers I got upload-time to was 1, at about 15 KB/s. 9 peers in the swarm with 50% or less and it won't upload to any though I've got 72% and some are interested. :x
Absentia

Post by Absentia »

24 Leechers. I'm now finished and should be superseeding and nothing is going out though there's only a dozen seeders. :x
Absentia

Post by Absentia »

IF Transmission would actually even connect to peers. I'm not connected to a single leecher in the swarms of some finished downloads, even though there are plenty.

Checked all settings again, and they're fine.
StealthOne

Post by StealthOne »

I'm also seeing this problem on 2.31. The torrent downloads quickly, but very little uploading happens. These are well seeded torrents, but there should still be some uploading as there are still plenty of leechers.

As a test, I loaded the same torrents in uTorrent and saw significant uploads compared to Transmission. There is something here that needs to be investigated!
garnercx

Post by garnercx »

I can confirm I have been having this problem, even for torrents I am uploading, for about 2 weeks as well. Restarting the client seems to clear the issue for about 20-30 minutes then I go back to having several leachers, no seeders other than me, and I am not connected to any peers.

I have been working with some support folks at the private trackers and they seemed to think it was a superseeding style bug. What additional information about this issue can I provide?
garnercx

Post by garnercx »

Update: I've been working with some support staff at a tracker I use, and they can confirm the behaviour, and have postulated that it could be a misbehaving superseeding implementation.

In any case, I have downgraded from 2.31 to 2.22 and the problem has gone away, so I'm just putting it out there that there might be a bug in the current version, since the issue started when I upgraded.
gunzip

Post by gunzip »

garnercx wrote:Update: I've been working with some support staff at a tracker I use, and they can confirm the behaviour, and have postulated that it could be a misbehaving superseeding implementation.
i've had similar problem with 2.31 on some private trackers where all peers i'm uploading to are incorrectly shed, usually at 30 minute intervals. to be able to use Transmission i made my own patch that just comments out "tr_peerMgrMarkAllAsSeeds" here:

Code: Select all

--- libtransmission/announcer.c 2011-04-10 12:27:08.000000000 -0400
+++ libtransmission/announcer.c.new     2011-04-12 00:27:40.000000000 -0400
@@ -1283,8 +1283,8 @@
                         tracker->consecutiveFailures = 0;
                     }

-                    if( tr_torrentIsPrivate( tier->tor ) && !row->downloaders )
-                        tr_peerMgrMarkAllAsSeeds( tier->tor );
+//                  if( tr_torrentIsPrivate( tier->tor ) && !row->downloaders )
+//                      tr_peerMgrMarkAllAsSeeds( tier->tor );
                 }
             }
         }
--- libtransmission/torrent.c   2011-04-12 23:10:03.000000000 -0400
+++ libtransmission/torrent.c.new       2011-04-12 23:11:43.000000000 -0400
@@ -517,8 +517,8 @@
             for( i = 0; i < event->pexCount; ++i )
                 tr_peerMgrAddPex( tor, TR_PEER_FROM_TRACKER, &event->pex[i], seedProbability );

-            if( allAreSeeds && tr_torrentIsPrivate( tor ) )
-                tr_peerMgrMarkAllAsSeeds( tor );
+//          if( allAreSeeds && tr_torrentIsPrivate( tor ) )
+//              tr_peerMgrMarkAllAsSeeds( tor );

break;
         }
without the patch TR 2.31 is not usable for me at the private tracker i use. what i think is happening is that TR 2.31 wrongly marks all peers as seeders, at least from what i can see on some private trackers.

Edit: this doesn't happen on public trackers, but only on some private trackers
anthony11

Post by anthony11 »

Add me to the list of 2.31 users who have seen their uploading go down the toilet. I'm using a private tracker (only). Scrapes are reported as successful, grabbing eg. 145 peers for a torrent posted today, but the peers tab shows nothing at all most of the time. Occasionally a uTorrent 2.2.1 or Transmission 2.31 peer shows up in the list and some of those transfer as expected for a few minutes. This also happened for me with 2.30b2.

Time to grab the sources and try gunzip's patch.
anthony11

Post by anthony11 »

uh, the one three posts above this one.

I had initial issues relating to the extremely low default values for peers, etc. Upping them resolved those.
anthony11

Post by anthony11 »

x190 wrote:
anthony11 wrote:uh, the one three posts above this one.
Oh, that one. If not flagging seeds as seeds helps, by all means, go for it. :)
So far it seems to help at least somewhat -- I'm not seeing as many peers as I would expect, but now I'm getting at least halfway-reasonable uploads.
Lacrocivious

Post by Lacrocivious »

I applied gunzip's patch (manually) to announce.c and torrent.c from svn trunk checkout of r12509, built it, and it has been running since 06:25 EDT (it is now 14:30 EDT) without any problem.

This is a special case with clearly defined parameters:
1. The tracker is private;
2. There are six DVD5-sized torrents;
3. There is only one leecher;
4. I am the only remaining seeder;
5. No other torrents are active except for brief periods when there are small updates to one or two torrents from the same tracker.

With any 2.30/2.31 build I tried, svn or tarball, initially upon start Transmission would seed all six torrents to the requesting leecher, but after 30-60 minutes it would stop seeding and would not resume seeding despite any prodding I knew to use (pause/start, unload/reload, ritual human sacrifice). Quitting Transmission and then restarting it caused the same torrents to begin seeding again, but for only 30-60 minutes. This was true of transmission-gtk and transmission-qt -- and I believe transmission-daemon as well though my testing with the daemon was marginal -- and occurred with absolute repeatability.

When I reverted to the 2.22 tarball, the problem disappeared entirely.

With gunzip's patch, the problem also appears to have disappeared entirely, though so far I have only tested with transmssion-gtk.

The host is Fedora 14 32-bit, and the (wretched, puny, capillary-sized) Intertubes provisioning is 3000/384 kbps ADSL.
Encryption is forced, PEX/DHT/uTP are enabled (though PEX/DHT are disabled with the private flag for these torrents).
phantomc

Post by phantomc »

Hello,

I guess I have the same problem since I have a very low upload speed due to very low amount of peers (nearly 0 or 1 for 100+ torrents) in a private tracker.

However, I am a complete noob with regard to linux. :cry:

I have saved the above patch in the above page as a file named "test", but I don't know how to run it.
As a side info, I have debian lenny on a my book live NAS storage, and I have installed transmission 2.3.1 via optware, which currently resides in /opt/bin as transmission-cli, transmission-daemon, transmission-remote etc.

Please tell me where to put the patch and how to run, compile and install it :oops: