transmission-remote fails for multiple daemons since 2.4x

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
markymarknz

transmission-remote fails for multiple daemons since 2.4x

Post by markymarknz »

I have been running multiple instances of transmission-daemon for a while now as mentioned in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12092

The web inteface works nicely for each instance and downloads work fine, however transmission-remote no longer works except on the default instance.

I used nginx to proxy transmission through SSL.
e.g.
https://website - default instance port 9091
https://website/subsite1 - second instance port 9092
https://website/subsite2 - third instance port 9093
https://website/subsite3 - fourth instance on port 9094

If I run the following command on the default instance it works as expected:
transmission-remote localhost:9091/transmission --auth <user>:<pass> --list

However any other instance I run fails with Unexpected response: <h1>301: Moved Permanently</h1>
i.e. transmission-remote localhost:9092/subsite1/transmission --auth <user>:<pass> --list

Again as mentioned this worked perfectly until recently when I updated to 2.4x

Anyone know of what changes have caused this response?

Thanks
rb07

Re: transmission-remote fails for multiple daemons since 2.4

Post by rb07 »

In settings.json, the line:

Code: Select all

"rpc-url": "/transmission/", 
is probably what you need to change for each instance.
markymarknz

Post by markymarknz »

Hi rb07,

Thanks for your reply.
I already have the "rpc-url" field updated as the following, but still doesn't work:
"rpc-url": "/subsite1/transmission/"

As mentioned it was working well in previous versions.

Thanks for your help.
markymarknz

Post by markymarknz »

Further information ...

Looking at the debug information it appears that transmission-remote picks up the use of an alternative port e.g. 9092, but then seems to hardcode the RPC url to http://localhost:9092/transmission/rpc

i.e. it seems to ignore any alternative URL settings specified e.g. /subsite1/transmission

It therefore goes to an invalid URL and gets the mentioned 301 response.
alexishuxley

Post by alexishuxley »

For information, this bug - exactly as described above - still exists in 2.52.

alphabeti# transmission-remote -l
Unexpected response: <h1>301: Moved Permanently</h1>pplication/x-www-form-urlencoded

alphabeti# grep rpc-url /etc/transmission1-daemon/settings.json 
    "rpc-url": "/transmission1/", 
alphabeti# 
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Its not a bug, transmission-remote never supported redirection.

If you are trying to do what the original poster was trying to do, then you're doing it wrong: a redirection is not a proxy (and a proxy doesn't respond with a redirection).

You could configure a real proxy (i.e. its not the software name or description, its the configuration), or you could patch transmission-remote adding the functionality to follow redirections:

static int
flush (const char * rpcurl, tr_variant ** benc)
{
    curl_easy_setopt (curl, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, getTimeoutSecs (json));
    curl_easy_setopt (curl, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, 1L);
Only the last libcurl option was added. Untested.
alexishuxley

Post by alexishuxley »

Re "transmission-remote never supported redirection", understood, but I am not knowingly requesting redirection, I have simply modified rpc-url in the daemon's config file. If I want to use transmission-remote to communicate with this daemon, how should I do it?

If I should be able to do this, then there is bug, because it is not possible (e.g. change rpc-url to "/foo/", restart transmission-daemon, try communicating with it using transmission-remote).

If I should not be able to do this, then could this be made more explicit in the documention? (e.g. "WARNING: if you modify rpc-url then you will not be able to use transmission-remote to communicate with the daemon"). IMHO if rpc-url is configurable then that invites people to make their daemon incompatible with transmission-remote.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

First point: If your report is not about multiple daemons, like the title on this thread says, then don't write on this thread. If you were using a proxy you wouldn't need what is described below.

Second point: stop assuming its a bug just because you can't make it work (i.e. it works, I just tested it again).

The only evidence you showed was a simple command: "transmission-remote -l", and a line in the configuration: '"rpc-url": "/transmission1/",' There's an error right there, can you see it?

The command "transmission-remote -l" is using the defaults:
  • host = localhost
  • port = 9091
  • url = <host>:<port>/transmission/rpc/
You can see what the command is doing by adding the option --debug.

Looking at transmission-remote's help gives you a hint about how to do it (except that the last slash shouldn't be used):

$ transmission-remote -h
transmission-remote 2.84 (14307)
A fast and easy BitTorrent client
http://www.transmissionbt.com/

Usage: transmission-remote [host] [options]
       transmission-remote [port] [options]
       transmission-remote [host:port] [options]
       transmission-remote [http(s?)://host:port/transmission/] [options]
On my test, I get:

$ transmission-remote http://localhost:9091/t1 -l
ID     Done       Have  ETA           Up    Down  Ratio  Status       Name
Sum:              None               0.0     0.0
alexishuxley

Post by alexishuxley »

I am using multiple daemons running on one system, which is why I was looking at rpc-url, and how I came across this thread.

Re "url = <host>:<port>/transmission/rpc/", yes, that was the source of my confusion! The OP said he used "transmission-remote localhost:9091/transmission". So, like me, he must have thought that transmission-remote was using the path component of the URL he specified (i.e. "localhost:9091/transmission") but from what you say (i.e ".../transmission/rpc/" rather than .../<path-component>") then it is now clear to me that transmission-remote always uses /transmission/rpc, regardless of what we put on the command line. Thanks for the clarification!

The OP said:
I have been running multiple instances of transmission-daemon for a while now ... however transmission-remote no longer works except on the default instance.
which I interpreted as meaning that his specification of <path-component> in the URL had worked at some time in the past but doesn't any longer. Okay, so there has been a change in behaviour, but that's allowed :wink:

Just in case other people come across this: multiple instances will only work with transmission-remote if you use different rpc-port values for each instance but identical and default rpc-url values.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

None of what you say is true. Some parts don't even make sense, how do you intend to run multiple instances of the daemon if all use the same port? The original post implied (not very well and the report is very poorly written) that using a proxy took care of directing the traffic to the different daemons, and that is completely different from what you have described.

Did you see my example?

The URL doesn't have to be the default, and I showed it. You are still assuming that transmission-remote is somehow going to guess what you don't tell it.
alexishuxley

Post by alexishuxley »

thanks rb.