Ticket 4621 (seeding progress bar not showing) NOT fixed

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
rhester72

Ticket 4621 (seeding progress bar not showing) NOT fixed

Post by rhester72 »

https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/4621

My view of 2.50 via both IE9 and latest Chrome both show the same result as the screenshot in the ticket (and 2.42). Not sure how to report against a closed issue, can someone reopen?

Rodney
rb07

Re: Ticket 4621 (seeding progress bar not showing) NOT fixed

Post by rb07 »

But it does show in Firefox 10.0.2 (which is the only I've tested).

Let's see... Internet Explorer 8: also showing.

Are you sure you're looking at torrents with a seed bar? i.e. torrents with no seed ratio limit will not show a seed bar.
rhester72

Post by rhester72 »

I've always had a seed ratio limit of 1, and it shows 8 days remaining, so I'm taking it as read that it's being honored (it has been for all other torrents). I can reliably reproduce this at will with any browser.

Rodney
rhester72

Post by rhester72 »

Tested with Firefox 10.0.2, still no change. Once fully downloaded, bar remains full green.

If you're seeing something different, clearly it's an issue on my end, but what? It's a basic manual install - copy over the binaries, copy over the entire tree from /web, done.

Rodney
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Then the question is: copy from where?

And: what value is shown in ratio? (it should be obvious that a torrent with ratio = 0.0 also doesn't show a seed bar; just like the torrent that has been set to seed with no limit -- no, the Web client can't set that, it has to be done with something else like transmission-remote, or Transmission-Qt).

My installed transmission-daemon is built from the released sources.
rhester72

Post by rhester72 »

Directly from the source code tree - this is a local compile on Linux.

One of the example torrents with the issue has a current ratio of 0.56, so the split should be nearly right down the middle.

Is there a way that I can verify via command line that _all_ my current torrents have a seed ratio limit? (They do, and I know that from observation of behavior, but I'd like to rule it out anyway.)

Rodney
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Code: Select all

$ transmission-remote -l
ID     Done       Have  ETA           Up    Down  Ratio  Status       Name
   1   100%   517.7 MB  Unknown      0.0     0.0   2.20  Idle         first one
   2   100%    4.69 GB  Unknown      0.0     0.0   0.43  Idle         second one
   3   100%   506.0 MB  Unknown      0.0     0.0   1.21  Idle         third one
rhester72 wrote:Directly from the source code tree - this is a local compile on Linux.
And why not doing the install step?

If you set the location you want to install it, '--prefix=...' in the configuration step, then 'make install' will put everything there, no 'suspicious' copy needed.

'suspicious' because the daemon is probably pulling the web files from somewhere else. Not to say the other problems with copy: won't overwrite files that it can't replace because of permissions, will leave old unused files.
rhester72

Post by rhester72 »

It's a cross-compile for MIPS, so there is no install step possible.

I've confirmed that PACKAGE_DATA_DIR in the Makefile (which sets to datadir/transmission by default) is set to /opt/usr/share/transmission, which is correct for my environment. If I rename the /opt/usr/share/transmission/web to /opt/usr/share/transmission/web.old, the daemon will start but I can't hit the web UI:

Code: Select all

Couldn't find Transmission's web interface files!

Users: to tell Transmission where to look, set the TRANSMISSION_WEB_HOME environment variable to the folder where the web interface's index.html is located.

Package Builders: to set a custom default at compile time, #define PACKAGE_DATA_DIR in libtransmission/platform.c or tweak tr_getClutchDir() by hand.
which is expected.

I've re-tarred the web subdirectory from the 2.50 source tree and unpacked into /opt/usr/share/transmission/web again, and the web UI comes back up, again as expected, so I'm sure there's no old content there. I've tried flushing the local browser cache in IE9, Chrome, and Firefox to no avail. I've checked torrent.js (from changeset 13082) and I'm certain the lines are in the correct order (per the fix). Review of the Makefile in the source web directory indicates there is no content massaging going on at install time, just a straight (and rather complex) copy. settings.json shows the following:

"ratio-limit": 1,
"ratio-limit-enabled": true,

which is what I expect to see.

I don't know where else to look. It doesn't seem that the seed ratio is calculated by libtransmission and stored by the web engine, because even torrents added after 2.50 was installed continue to exhibit the behavior.

Rodney
rb07

Post by rb07 »

I think we're getting off topic, but
rhester72 wrote:It doesn't seem that the seed ratio is calculated by libtransmission
What do you mean? You also don't see the ratio in the torrent's inspector, and in the status line under the torrent (non-compact view)?

rhester72

Post by rhester72 »

No, I do - I was more implying that I didn't think this could be any sort of "breadcrumb" data left over by the older version of Transmission, since the bug that was fixed was exclusive to Clutch. Thus, I don't know where else to look, but I'm damned jealous that your seed bar actually functions. Mine did, long ago - probably stopped 2-3 public releases back.

Rodney
rb07

Post by rb07 »

The bug wasn't that is stopped working, it just didn't show until you selected the torrent and opened the inspector (maybe it was the double click), each torrent had to be selected to, sometimes, show the bar, other times it didn't show.

But now its working fine.

I have no idea if there is another bug (funny, the first time I saw 2.50b1 I did saw a lot of bugs, but when the release came just the usual things that don't work lately with Firefox -- like the menu arrows jumping around, and not aligning to the item they correspond).
gunzip

Post by gunzip »

i think i see what might be happening here regarding the web-ui:

case 1) when setting individual seed ratio limits on specific torrents, the seeding progress-bar works fine

case 2) however when setting a global seed ratio limit, the progress-bar does not register

this is what i'm observing with v2.50 and Firefox 10.0.2
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Bingo! That is the same thing I'm seeing gunzip, you got it, that is a new bug.

- - -

I've reopened the bug report: https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/4621#comment:4
gunzip

Post by gunzip »

@rb07: this is puzzling re QT seeding bar:

http://oi41.tinypic.com/1zppnax.jpg

as shown, i'm at nearly 80% of seeding goal but the bar looks like it's only 25% completed. shouldn't this be linear proportional (more or less) to final goal?

EDIT: also the progress bars are always blue, but QT-screenshot on Transmission main page has them orange. somehow i think i'm missing something here. i expected the color to change when a torrent goes from downloading to seeding state.
Last edited by gunzip on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Yes its proportional... but perhaps I changed something there and that's why mine works as expected... I remember changing the reverse bar (an older version used to show seeding as a decreasing left-to-right bar), but later Jordan also did something similar in version 2.4x, I'm sure I have my own change in place (I build from the modified repository sources).

Also there should be no change between downloading and seeding, both bars are proportional, one to 100% of the size, the other to the ratio, if any is set.