Magnet link stuck with "torrent metadata needed"

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
brucehobbs

Magnet link stuck with "torrent metadata needed"

Post by brucehobbs »

v2.50 (13236), Mac OS X 10.6.8

After downloading a magnet link from http://tracker.example.com.se although Transmission adds the torrent it displays the message "torrent metadata needed," but even after several hours the torrent does not begin downloading. When I allow uTorrent to open the same magnet link it almost immediately begins downloading the torrent. Thoughts/suggestions?
blacke4dawn

Re: Magnet link stuck with "torrent metadata needed"

Post by blacke4dawn »

Only thing I can think of is that it didn't manage to connect to any peer to get the metadata. Did you have uTP and/or DHT enabled in Transmission, if not then that probably was the major reasons but not the only ones.
brucehobbs

Post by brucehobbs »

Thanks for the response! uTP and DHT are both enabled. :-(

I should also have mentioned that Transmission did successfully handle magnet links a couple of times several weeks back although it did take it a few minutes to get the needed torrent metadata. I left one alone all night that has now been waiting over 9.5 hours.

Any logs I can browse or other info I can supply that might indicate the problem?
aladsto

Post by aladsto »

I have exactly the same problem. This magnets work perfectly with other clients, though.
mattball

Post by mattball »

I am also having this problem with magnet links; Transmission 2.51 (the current latest) and OS X 10.7.3. These links work perfectly well in µTorrent, but remain stuck at "torrent metadata needed" in Transmission.

:(
mattball

Post by mattball »

x190 wrote:Is Transmission connecting to peers? Try a torrent pause/resume or Transmission quit/restart.
Tried both of those already, neither of which helped. Transmission has no problems connection to or downloading from peers with non-magnetized transfers (that is, .torrent files).
mattball

Post by mattball »

x190 wrote:Are ports, encryption levels, or blocklists an issue?
Today I tested all 4 combinations of {checked or unchecked} x {Prefer encrypted peers, Prevent peers in blocklist from connecting} and magnet links seem to be working in all cases. For some specific torrents, however, I had to uncheck both boxes for the magnet link to work.

Going forward I'm going to keep using Transmission, and keep both "Prefer encrypted peers" and "Prevent peers in blocklist from connecting" checked, but uncheck them temporarily when having issues with magnet links.
Silizium

Post by Silizium »

Same problem here, I tried everything. Switch off and on many things in the preferences. Port is open (UPNP). But the 14 Magnet Links I entered don't start. Even they have more then 100 Seeders. Please have an eye on that issue.
blacke4dawn

Post by blacke4dawn »

Silizium wrote:Same problem here, I tried everything. Switch off and on many things in the preferences. Port is open (UPNP). But the 14 Magnet Links I entered don't start. Even they have more then 100 Seeders. Please have an eye on that issue.
How long did you wait? Like with any torrent it can take a long time before it actually gets going.

Doesn't matter if a torrent has over a million seeds, you won't be downloading anything unless you actually get a download slot with someone, and that is not something they can force.
Silizium

Post by Silizium »

For some I waited 24h or longer. But when I download the torrent it starts very quick. Maybe not the Programs fault. Can be that the seeders block some service?
blacke4dawn

Post by blacke4dawn »

Fully possible that there is some block somewhere. There are so many steps in this that it's very hard to pinpoint the exact place of failure, and there is only so much the devs of the client can do.
drohr

Post by drohr »

I'm having the same issue. Never had any issues with Transmission before. Installed a new computer at home. Migrated my settings. After this every magnet link gets stuck. They where working instantly before.

Tried redownloading, removing settings. Nothing works. Tested uTorrent, and that works perfectly. Seems to be some issue that stops Transmission from working with magnet links.
blacke4dawn

Post by blacke4dawn »

Check that DHT is turned on.

Try adding some "generic" trackers and see if it works.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

Try (and report back) if a nightly build from trunk is any better. https://build.transmissionbt.com/
jayswarthy

Post by jayswarthy »

I also had this problem but I went to Preferences>Encryption and disabled "Prefer encrypted peers"
Works perfectly fine now. Cheers.