Web Interface Suddenly Not Working

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
Renara

Web Interface Suddenly Not Working

Post by Renara »

Okay so I've been trying for ages to fix this to no avail.
Quite simply I had transmission working just fine yesterday, but today the web interface is refusing to work at all and just throws up "The server denies connections" errors (HTTP 504) in Safari. I haven't changed any settings, updated Transmission or done anything at all that I can think of that would cause the issue.

I've tried completely uninstalling transmission, including all resume and torrent files and reinstalling fresh, but I can't connect to the web interface at all to continue setup.

I can run transmission-remote just fine via SSH, though transmission appears to be accepting connections regardless of the username and password I provide, so long as the username isn't "transmission" (which is what I used to have set as the RPC username).

My settings.json file also appears to keep resetting the rpc-password every time I stop and start the service. Another oddity I've noticed is that another settings.json file keeps appearing in the root user's folder under /root/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json, I've tried redirecting this to the correct location (I'm running on a Synology NAS so that's /volume1/@appstore/transmission/var).

The daemon does seem to be running and downloading torrents normally, as far as I can tell, but since it doesn't seem to be honouring any of my settings it's hard to tell whether it's truly running as expected.

I just can't understand what's going on; whenever I do update transmission I'm sure to copy the folder to a backup location in case any settings or torrents are lost, and I've verified that all my settings are the same, but the web interface just refuses to work as if the rpc whitelist is enabled, even though the whitelist setting in settings.json should both allow my IP address (it's set to allow all local IPs) and the whitelist is turned off anyway.
maki.ato

Re: Web Interface Suddenly Not Working

Post by maki.ato »

Maybe it's related to what I experienced some time ago: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13884
Renara

Re: Web Interface Suddenly Not Working

Post by Renara »

Thanks for the suggestion!

It wasn't the bind address though, somehow I was ending up with two transmission-daemon process; I still haven't figured out why that was happening, but an uninstall, restart then re-install was successful once I noticed the rogue process. The two must have been fighting for my settings file and overwriting each other's values.

I do still have one oddity, though it may just be a feature, but the rpc-password in my settings.json file doesn't resemble the one I actually set; if the rpc-password starts with a bracket does that mean Transmission's converted the original into some kind of hashed format? I seem to be logging in correctly, but I was tearing my hair out wondering why it kept changing so I'd like to make sure :)