Files and Folders created with wrong permissions

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
DancherBoi

Files and Folders created with wrong permissions

Post by DancherBoi »

This was working fine for a while, but now, Transmission creates folders and files in my incomplete folder with 755 permissions. My umask in settings.json is 2 which is equivalent to 775. I have also changed it to 0 for testing purposes, which is equivalent to 777, but 755 permissions are always set. Anyone have any clue as to why this might be happening and what I can do to fix it?
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Re: Files and Folders created with wrong permissions

Post by mike.dld »

Are you sure files are created with 755 permissions? I could believe in directories having this mode, but files should have at most 666 (i.e. no executable bit). Maybe the filesystem of ours is the cause here? Like, if it's smbfs/cifs/fat/ntfs and you mount it with specific user_mode/dir_mode/fmask/dmask/umask/umode flags?..
Last edited by mike.dld on Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
DancherBoi

Post by DancherBoi »

Here is an example of a folder within my incomplete:
drwxr-xr-x 2 debian-transmission debian-transmission 4096 Jan 16 21:51 File.1

And the files within that folder:
-rw-r--r-- 1 debian-transmission debian-transmission 4689054657 Jan 16 21:52 File.1.mkv.part
-rw-r--r-- 1 debian-transmission debian-transmission 759 Jan 16 21:52 File.1.nfo.part

So it looks like you are on the right path, the folder is 755 and the files are 644.

How is this supposed to work? Shouldn't my folder be drwxrwxr-x when my umask in settings.json is set to 2?
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

If should be 775, that's correct, and it looks like a defect. But before we settle on this (and create a ticket at https://trac.transmissionbt.com/), are you using the latest version which is 2.82 at the moment? And if not, would you mind trying it out first?

EDIT: I just tried it myself, and setting umask to 2 works just fine with 2.82 and GTK+ client.
DancherBoi

Post by DancherBoi »

This was working just fine for a while by creating the folders with 775 perm, and then all of a sudden, it started creating at 755.

I am on 2.82 on a headless Ubuntu server running the web client.
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

Nothing happens all of a sudden, there is always a reason. And if you didn't change anything related to Transmission setup, it only means that something else on your system has changed. This could include filesystem, or mount options, or who knows what else.

Out of curiosity, lets try setting umask to some other value. For example, 63 (077), so that created files and directories should have 600 and 700 permissions respectively. If that doesn't work either then something may be wrong with settings.json file (invalid umask value type, like string instead of number?).
DancherBoi

Post by DancherBoi »

Thanks for the reply. I have changed the umask setting to 63. Here is what I get now:

For the folder
drwx------ 2 debian-transmission debian-transmission 4096 Jan 19 13:21 Folder1

And the files
-rw------- 1 debian-transmission debian-transmission 92 Jan 19 13:21 File1.txt
-rw------- 1 debian-transmission debian-transmission 18863220377 Jan 19 13:23 File2.mkv.part

So indeed, I am getting 700 for the folder and 600 for the files as you predicted.
DancherBoi

Post by DancherBoi »

To test again, I set the umask setting back to 2, and my folders are still 755 (instead of 775) and files are 644.
DancherBoi

Post by DancherBoi »

Right now my incomplete folder is 770.

drwxrwx--- 4 myuser debian-transmission 20480 Jan 19 13:30 incomplete
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

The only thing I could think of now is running transmission-daemon under strace (as debian-transmission user) and then looking for umask/mkdir/open/chmod calls (actually, there should be no chmod calls). Do you know how to do that or do you need more detailed instructions?

Or maybe someone else has better suggestions...