Can't stop transmission daemon, so settings wont hold [linux

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
jamierc

Can't stop transmission daemon, so settings wont hold [linux

Post by jamierc »

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up transmission remote, using linux mint (qiana). I've done the set up many times before, but never had this problem.

I know that the /etc/transmission/settings.json file is overwritten if the transmission daemon isn't stopped before editing it. The problem is, that the daemon wont stop, and so the settings files is overwritten constantly.

I've tried the usual /etc/init.d/transmission stop, as well as the more brute force killall transmission. It doesn't report any error, but then when starting transmission up again, it reports an error saying that it's already running. And none of the changes I make to settings.json stick.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Jamie
rb07

Re: Can't stop transmission daemon, so settings wont hold [l

Post by rb07 »

Perhaps you have more than one instance running, or more than one instance installed.

One way to stop it is:

Code: Select all

transmission-remote --exit
Of course you may need to add user & password, and the remote address if you do it from another computer.

Another thing to do is check if its running before and after:

Code: Select all

pgrep -l transmission-da
# or
ps -ef | grep transmission
killall needs the exact name, if I remember correctly, and that name is "transmission-da", I don't remember if the complete name works.